Hello!

I tried to make a watch strap; dyed and waited for 24 hours and sewed it together. White thread took some reddish colouring at that stage allready, but after I put on some oil-beeswax-stuff it really got stained. :(

What do you do to avoid this? Should it be all the way finished before sewing?

21674214475_0ae174173b_c.jpg

What did you use for dye? Did you buff the heck out of the leather after the dye dried? You need to buff it with clean cloth till you get no more transfer. I would still sew it after you put the finish on.

It was ethanol-based dye, and I tried to get all extra color away, but not enough, obviously.

So if I want that white thread stays white, I finish the piece all the way before sewing? Do I punch the holes before or after dying?

Eero,

Try "cleaning" the stitching with an old toothbrush and some leather soap.

Work gently over the stitched area and use water sparingly!

Good luck

I always sew after final drying. I dye then immediately wipe the dyed area with a soft cloth while it's still wet (this helps even the dye as well as remove loose pigment before it gets dried on to the leather, let stand for 24 hours, Buff, buff, then buff some more, apply conditioner, buff, buff, buff some more, apply clear-lac, let dry overnight if possible but at least several hours, then you guessed it, buff, buff, buff some more. Then sew. I buff with sheep wool pads. Of course, white thread will still pick up dirt, dust, machine oil, etc. It is very hard to keep white thread totally clean but extra care with machine maintenance and cleaning and the finishing process will be a big improvement.

Chief

Thank you all!

I knew that there rarely is any shortcuts to get things done well! Blood and sweat. Tears come after you don't provide enough of the first two...

I might try to clean it up, just to see if it's possible, but I can't wear it anymore.

Maybe I nail it on the wall to remind me of the failure...

Btw, this is not so big problem if you are sewing with machine, because the machine doesn't pull the whole lenght of thread through the potentionally dirty holes all over again, like it happens with handsewing...