ade

Casing Leather and Vinegaroon.

Hi

I've done a little casing and have had great results,i really love this method.

Just a question, can do casing on Vinegaroon dyed leather ?.

And would dying leather in vinegaroon,after casing cause you to loose the shape?.

Ade

I have only used vinagroon once, but I did loose some of the definition on my carving. Next time I try it, I will do the vinagroon dip before carving.

Yes, vinegarooning can cause a little loss of definition, and it's because of the reaction INSIDE the leather. If you 'roon a piece, you'll probably notice that the grain side looks a bit shinier. That's because of the tallows being forced to the surface. For most things, you'll need to apply oil/conditioner and rub a bit to force it into the leather. You can apply 'roon with a brush/rag/mop (doesn't matter) instead of dipping.

As far as casing after vinegaroon.....I've found that 'rooning the leather tends to impart quite a bit of water resistance to the leather. I've managed to wet mold after 'rooning the leather, but I had to submerge and soak the piece for about half an hour to get enough water in it.

TwinOaks, sorry I'm responding to this post so late, but just got into leather work the last year or so.  My question is this:  I want to carve a piece, vinegroon it, and then wet mold it.  What order do you think I should do these three things?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike