Joeg

Metal Liners For Holsters

Does anyone have a source for the metal used as an intermediate liner in Fast Draw cowboy holsters. It's used to maintain the shape of the holster around the cylinder so the cylinder can turn freely during the draw. Any help would by appreciated by this old soldier.

If your were going to do alot of them,I would suggest getting ahold of your local steel supplier or Fabrication shop.For a small amount just about any Lowes,Home depot, Hardware should have some thin sheet metal.Look for about 24 guage. You may also want to check the legality of using steel in a holster with the organization doing the shoot.Some of the more PC organizations don't like such modern adaptations.Dave

If your were going to do alot of them,I would suggest getting ahold of your local steel supplier or Fabrication shop.For a small amount just about any Lowes,Home depot, Hardware should have some thin sheet metal.Look for about 24 guage. You may also want to check the legality of using steel in a holster with the organization doing the shoot.Some of the more PC organizations don't like such modern adaptations.Dave

DC, I appreciate your input. the Mounted action shooters and Cowboy fast draw clubs are getting into steel liners. I've been holdout, trying to stick with rawhide. Some of my customers are adamant about the metal. By the way I did check out your web site and found your work to be impressive. I also ran through s couple of your tutorials. Thanks a gain for your input.

Just a suggestion if you are going to sandwich steel liners between leather. A coat of laquer on the steel is a good idea to preclude any rusting. By the way, the Cowboy Fast Draw Association strictly prohibits steel liners in the holster.

Just a suggestion if you are going to sandwich steel liners between leather. A coat of laquer on the steel is a good idea to preclude any rusting. By the way, the Cowboy Fast Draw Association strictly prohibits steel liners in the holster.

Denster, thanks for the input. I've read the requirements and I'm a member. I'm using rawhide in the fast draw holsters. I have several customers in CMSA who are insisting on metal liners and I'm seeing alot of makers advertising steel. I would appreciate any input on getting that level of of firmness in the fast draw holster. I am just doing my own so far but the results have been disappointing.

Denster, thanks for the input. I've read the requirements and I'm a member. I'm using rawhide in the fast draw holsters. I have several customers in CMSA who are insisting on metal liners and I'm seeing alot of makers advertising steel. I would appreciate any input on getting that level of of firmness in the fast draw holster. I am just doing my own so far but the results have been disappointing.

youd do better with thin stainless steel