Rowan717

Dyed Leather Cracking When Folded

Hello everyone,

I recently started leather working as a hobby and have been focusing on ammo pouches. I have been using veg tanned leather and do all the tooling before dying the parts to be sewn together with Fiebings Professional Oil based dye. I allow the dye to dry and then add some neatsfoot oil, allow to dry and then apply Feibings Leather Balm with Atom wax.

I then start the sewing of the bullet loops of 4oz leather and it is here that the leather starts cracking. Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is it the sequence of the processes explained above?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I had this problem with dog collars when folding the strap over the buckle, and found that if I wet the leather, it not only won't crack, but it holds its shape even when dried. I bend it when I've just finished tooling and it's still wet from casing. The "bend" hasn't been an issue for me during dyeing and finishing.

There might be a better way, but this has worked for me so far.

Other causes of your issue could be that you're using a low quality leather or (I did this a few times) used too much spirit dye and let the alcohol make it WAY too stiff.

Thanks lightingale.

I'm using oil based dye and the leather is pretty supple after dying but still cracks when bent sharply. I will try wetting it a bit but I heard that you shouldn't stitch wet leather and it isn't possible for me to form the leather without stitching it.

I had this problem with dog collars when folding the strap over the buckle, and found that if I wet the leather, it not only won't crack, but it holds its shape even when dried. I bend it when I've just finished tooling and it's still wet from casing. The "bend" hasn't been an issue for me during dyeing and finishing.

There might be a better way, but this has worked for me so far.

Other causes of your issue could be that you're using a low quality leather or (I did this a few times) used too much spirit dye and let the alcohol make it WAY too stiff.

I stitch damp leather and it works fine. It shouldnt be dripping wet but properly cased leather can be stitched and look very good.

Another thing you can try is gouging the leather.

I've never done this myself, but you can get a tool that will cut a v shaped gouge into the leather, enabling you to fold it sharply. The tool looks like this:http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-cad/8082-00.aspx?countryid=998

If you wet the leather in order to fold it, you can allow it to dry before stitching as it should hold its shape.

Thanks lightingale.

I'm using oil based dye and the leather is pretty supple after dying but still cracks when bent sharply. I will try wetting it a bit but I heard that you shouldn't stitch wet leather and it isn't possible for me to form the leather without stitching it.

Fiebings Professional Oil based dye doesn't actually contain oil, it uses a higher quality spirit base compared to to their regular spirit line, if you look at the MSDS for it there is definitely no mention of oil. No one one seems to know why they call it oil based.

Usually you wet form, let it dry so it holds it's shape put some neatsfoot oil on it let that work it's way in for a few hours and then stitch, like mlapaglia said though damp leather can be stitched and I have done that in a pinch.

Clair

post-32032-024130200 1341883604_thumb.jppost-32032-024130200 1341883604_thumb.jpHello guys,

Thank you for your responses.

I have uploaded 2 pics of the ammo pouch I am talking about. Casing is new to me. Can I case dyed leather and then stitch it when it is basically just damp and not soaking wet?

Fiebings Professional Oil based dye doesn't actually contain oil, it uses a higher quality spirit base compared to to their regular spirit line, if you look at the MSDS for it there is definitely no mention of oil. No one one seems to know why they call it oil based.

Usually you wet form, let it dry so it holds it's shape put some neatsfoot oil on it let that work it's way in for a few hours and then stitch, like mlapaglia said though damp leather can be stitched and I have done that in a pinch.

Clair

Hello guys,

Thank you for your responses.

I have uploaded 2 pics of the ammo pouch I am talking about. Casing is new to me. Can I case dyed leather and then stitch it when it is basically just damp and not soaking wet?

Edited by Rowan717