I made this for my wife for mother's day. I'm pretty impressed with myself. I've only owned a machine for a little over a month, and never sewed anything before that. I sewed a few tester pieces, before I dove straight into this huge project. I made dozens of mistakes (including sewing the strap to the bottom..............TWICE!!!!). It was a real mental challenge, but what a huge learning experience. I have to say the two hardest parts by far were figuring out how to do the bottom, and figuring out how (and when) the liner goes in (I don't think I quite figured that out yet!). Anyway, I hope you enjoy and let me know both positive and negative feedback.

Fred

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

post-8294-1242345824_thumb.jpg

post-8294-1242345853_thumb.jpg

post-8294-1242345864_thumb.jpg

post-8294-1242345875_thumb.jpg

post-8294-1242345884_thumb.jpg

Looks great Fred. My wife liked it too. Was the liner hard to put in? I've haven't done a liner - yet.

Art

Nice bag...I ain't showing it to my wife, she would challenge me to make her one just like it, and ...well....it might start a big fight....

Nice bag...I ain't showing it to my wife, she would challenge me to make her one just like it, and ...well....it might start a big fight....

:Lighten: So maybe you should just surprise her with one. Then just the opposite will happen. :wub:

Very nice bag, Fred!

Kate

Thanks everyone.

Art. I thought the liner was one of the hardest things to figure out. I'm sure it is not as hard if you know what you are doing, but I had no idea so it was a real challenge. I guess all assembly is like that. You have to figure out the order in which to sew things together so that in the end everything looks right. All-in-all it took about 15 hours to make this. I think with patterns, and experience it would take about a day or so. I'd love to know how people line their cases and bags. Maybe some of the bag makers on this forum can chime in.

I made this for my wife for mother's day. I'm pretty impressed with myself. I've only owned a machine for a little over a month, and never sewed anything before that. I sewed a few tester pieces, before I dove straight into this huge project. I made dozens of mistakes (including sewing the strap to the bottom..............TWICE!!!!). It was a real mental challenge, but what a huge learning experience. I have to say the two hardest parts by far were figuring out how to do the bottom, and figuring out how (and when) the liner goes in (I don't think I quite figured that out yet!). Anyway, I hope you enjoy and let me know both positive and negative feedback.

Fred

Thanks everyone.

Art. I thought the liner was one of the hardest things to figure out. I'm sure it is not as hard if you know what you are doing, but I had no idea so it was a real challenge. I guess all assembly is like that. You have to figure out the order in which to sew things together so that in the end everything looks right. All-in-all it took about 15 hours to make this. I think with patterns, and experience it would take about a day or so. I'd love to know how people line their cases and bags. Maybe some of the bag makers on this forum can chime in.

FredF

You should cement the lining to the flesh side of your bag. That way it doesn't move around on you as you sew. I like a smooth lining not a loose one so I cement the whole thing to the inside. But if you like a loose lining like your purse then just cement around the edges. Thats how I do it. Hope this helps. Others may have another way of doing it though.

PANTHER

Great work, and especially considering it was your first time using the machine. My only experience with making the a bag like that, I cemented the lining on the sides, like Panther suggested, then covered a piece of stiff plastic that was cut to fit the bottom. The bottom was held in place by the rivet holding the little dome shaped feet I put on the bottom.

Sharp looking piece Fred.

Hey Fred,

I would like to have this bag too. Hopfully my husband will make me one, the problem is we don´t have a sewing machine.

Do you mean it is to much work sewing it by hand????

Is the white part hair one hide??

Do you design the pattern by yourself???

cheers

Diana

FredF

You should cement the lining to the flesh side of your bag. That way it doesn't move around on you as you sew. I like a smooth lining not a loose one so I cement the whole thing to the inside. But if you like a loose lining like your purse then just cement around the edges. Thats how I do it. Hope this helps. Others may have another way of doing it though.

PANTHER

Thanks Panther, that helps. I have seen liners that look like they are cemented in, but I wasn't sure if they are cemented directly to the leather or to a panel that was then attached to the leather.

Fred

Ian,

I wanted to put feet on it, but didn't want to wait anymore to close the whole thing up, and I had already ordered all the hardware. I used a piece of a leather tile sample I had, which is about 1/4" thick. I didn't know what to use. I remember seeing cardboard in cheap bags, but I don't know what expensive bags use. The leather tile is stiff, but a little flexible.

Diana,

It was just hard for me because every step was something I had never done before so I had to stop and think how things were going to fold, and finish and come together. A real mental challenge for me! I don't think it is a difficult bag to make for someone who knows a little about this. Even hand sewing, although I assume it would be a little more difficult that way. I designed the bag myself (again, I had never made a pattern before or seen one made, so it took some thinking) I drew the bag full scale and then made partial patterns of some of the pieces. Somehow it all came together pretty well so I guess I did something right! The white part is hair on hide.

Thank you all,

Fred

Great work, and especially considering it was your first time using the machine. My only experience with making the a bag like that, I cemented the lining on the sides, like Panther suggested, then covered a piece of stiff plastic that was cut to fit the bottom. The bottom was held in place by the rivet holding the little dome shaped feet I put on the bottom.

Sharp looking piece Fred.

Fred, that is a really nice piece of work. The contrast between the hair-on and the plain leather is superb. That lining color is a scorcher!

Ray

Thanks Panther, that helps. I have seen liners that look like they are cemented in, but I wasn't sure if they are cemented directly to the leather or to a panel that was then attached to the leather.

Fred

Fred,

If the item you'er making requiers a stiffener then you are right, the panel being the stiffener.

PANTHER

Edited by PANTHER