avimeso

May Be Buying A K6 Tomorrow

Hey guys

I might be buying a singer k6 tomoz a black one.

I do saddlery only strapping really. Would like to use it for some strapping but not sure what I can. I handsew everything at the moment.

Just was wondering what kind of leatherwork it should be able to do. Someone just told me there bad for leather.

I know they are good for mending rugs.

What thickness will they go through?

Edited by avimeso

K6? the model number comes before the K on Singers the number after the K denotes the subvarient you need to post the full number.

132k6 lower feed dog flip foot and center foot will sew leather up to around 3/8” which is enough for Saddlery (English Saddlery) and you will get feed dog marks on the underside.

It should handle 3/8" or so but you can use #277 thread pretty easy on this machine.You might have problems with marking on the bottom as this machine has the bottom feed dogs that pulls the leather but at least it has a walking foot ,this machine is better suited for sewing nylon webbing or canvas.

Maybe a Singer 132K6? I had one of those, decades ago. It sewed a half inch, with up to #277 thread, using a #25 needle

I have a 132 K 6 and it will sew about 1/2 inch of vegtan easily with 277 and stitch length is almost 1/2 inch long. I get some tracks on the bottom, but not real bad. It also has a massive bobbin good for about a week of sewing, well not that big but bigger than most. Needles are available up to size 27, and I was told it would handle 346 on top. Works good for me. Gump.

Good choice for horse rugs but I prefer a Singer 7