Peter Darby

My Stitching Pony/horse

Thought you might want to see an antique stitching pony that I use for sewing. I found it in an antique store about 25 years ago. from the bottom it was obviously originally a stitching horse. But that is okay, I sit the screw on my knees and it is the perfect height for sewing whether I am in a folding chair or a lounger. It has a 12" throat so I can sew about anything in it and the screw will tighten to whatever pressure you need.

post-18783-0-25431600-1435536288_thumb.j

What a wonderful find!

Half of me says you shouldn't be using that, it belongs in a museum, and the other half says it's a nice traditional tool, and you should carry on using it.

On the whole though, I'm inclined to say blow the sentimentality, you must get a lot of satisfaction from using it

I found this one recently in an antique store also. I would like to know more about it, Looks like it was set up for production? Cam lever on the side? I haven't tried using it yet, so I don't know if it is functional. sure looks cool though...functional or not.

Yours is awesome! I would use it too.

well, i will have to try again on the picture upload

post-39107-0-34667000-1435718301_thumb.j

I have one identical to yours eglider except it's a horse. Has the seat with it, but the same kind of lever. Peter that piece is gorgeous just from a design POV. Cheryl

eglideride, I have a stitching clam just like the one in your photo. I tried to use it, and one of the arms immediately cracked. I guess I should have left it alone.