shadowryder

Can Anyone Advise On A Singer 153 Cylinder Arm Please

Hi as the title says,can anyone give advice on the singer 153 walking foot,I would be looking to sew saddle bags shooting satchels belts,guitar straps etc,

I already have a table and servo motor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-153-sewing-machine-heavy-duty-/251671648669?pt=UK_CraftsCollect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item3a98cc999d

is this worth $400 and the 4 hr round trip drive to get it. please.

post-22861-0-79447500-1413370200_thumb.j

Also can anyone advise on this please,

SINGER 136W100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271568778057?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes,it should work for what your sewing.This machine would sew the same as 111w or Consew 225,226 only it has a cylinder arm.

The walking foot would be the better of the 2.

Thanks for that info Bob,appreciated,,

JJ

I read the ad for the Singer 153 cylinder arm machine and I can tell you as the former owner of one, it cannot sew 20mm, as stated in that ad. It can only sew up to 10mm (~3/8 inch).

Hi Wiz, thanks for that infoI will be ok with that most I will do is double 4mm.to 8,

Can you tell me please how do you rate the machine having used one also how sturdy are they and is there much can go wrong with them.

the one I,m lookin at looks a bit worse for wear even though advertised as in working order.

Thanks

JJ.

The Singer 136x100 is a light to medium duty post machine. It is best limited to #69 (T70) bonded thread and under. You would use #18 (110) leather point needles with #69 thread.

Cowboy boot makers use these machines to sew patterns onto boot uppers. Typically, they use #33 bonded nylon thread with a #12 needle.

Post machines are also very good for sewing hats and caps.

Hi Wiz, thanks for that infoI will be ok with that most I will do is double 4mm.to 8,

Can you tell me please how do you rate the machine having used one also how sturdy are they and is there much can go wrong with them.

the one I,m lookin at looks a bit worse for wear even though advertised as in working order.

Thanks

JJ.

I used mine to sew curved items, like vest arm holes, bags, pouches and purses. The old Singer industrial sewing machines often hold up for a 50 to one hundred years, with periodic maintenance (oil, lube, clean, adjust) and if not badly abused. It won't hurt to ask the seller to try wiggling the needle bar and presser bars to see how much lateral slack they have. Nothing should bind, either during operation, or when the feet are manually lifted. With the vbelt removed, one should be able to lift the feet (via a lever or pedal), then literally spin the hand wheel with your right hand and have the needle and feet cycle once through. Mine did.

The 153 can sew #138 (T135) thread, top and bottom, using a #23 (160) leather point needle (Schmetz is best). The bobbin is only a standard size, so you won't sew too many belts before needing to swap bobbins (with #138 thread). Some members here are able to tension their 153 to use #207 on top and 138 in the bobbin. Everything needs to be cranked down hard. It stresses out the poor old machines. But, they chug along anyway.

Thanks again,

the 136 is not gonna be any use to me,I like the sound of the 153 but a little bit dubious of its condition based on that photo.

I have tried to ask questions of the seller but was told "listing says ITEM IN WORKING ORDER thankyou,,"So he aint really a very helpful guy.

Thats why I,m trying to ask as much as I can on here cos I know you guys will keep me strait like George, LOL!!!

thanks again.

JJ

Hi Again sorry to be a pain but what would be the verdict on this for my type of work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stiching-Machine-/201182401241?pt=UK_Crafts_Leathercraft_LE&hash=item2ed767d2d9

The Pfaff has very similar capabilities as the Singer 153. It is built for medium duty sewing, with #138 thread and under. It can be pushed to sew into thicker material by changing to Pfaff system 190 needles. Other than that, unless something is worn out, it is a very good and fairly quiet sewing machine. I owned a flatbed, zig-zag Pfaff for a short time. Very smooth, albeit very expensive for replacement parts.

The Pfaff have reverse? I know the Singer 153 doesn't have reverse.

Edited by J Hayes

I have a 153W103 and can sew 207 top, 138 bottom. No strain at all, and found it can handle a #25 needle, though I mostly use a #24 with 207 thread. An additional spring in the tensioner helps in pulling the bottom thread up, and when sewing the thicker stuff (5/16"), the #25 needle helps a little more. Parts are fairly easy to come by as I have picked up several extras to have on hand, hook assembly gears, etc. I use a gear reducer and a VFD (variable frequency drive) for speed control for a 1HP motor, which I topped off at about 300 SPM. I don't think you will go wrong with the 153.

Thanks a lot guys this info is really great. I just wish the 153 was a bit closer to take a look at it as the seller wont give any more info than "its in working order.

Again thanks so much for the info.

Thanks a lot guys this info is really great. I just wish the 153 was a bit closer to take a look at it as the seller wont give any more info than "its in working order.

Again thanks so much for the info.

I have a 153wsv6 which has all the specs of a 103, compound feed with alternating presser feet.I sew 207/138 regularly,but Wiz is right,3/8 is the max. The 100 is a needle feed,drop feed,I think you would be happier with a 101,103 or 104 as they are needle,drop,alternating presser. They are good machines and they will last forever,pars are readily available

Attach is the manual. http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/153W100_W101_154W100.pdf

I prefer the Singer 155B which was built by Seiko and was later sold as the CW-8B. Just a personal preference.