bobby guns

How Do I Dye A Baseball Glove?

Hi.

First post.

This would probably be an easy project for most of you, but it's my first time working with leather.

I want to dye a baseball glove black and have a few questions.

The glove is used and in need of conditioning. (I wasn't going to use a lanolin-based glove conditioner).

- Should I condition the glove first, or wait until after the dye job is complete?

-Is Fiebing's dye the way to go? How many coats will likely be necessary to make tan leather black?

-Do I need to seal the dye afterwards? I don't want the glove to look like it's been shellacked, but would seal it if necessary.

Finally, is it possible to dye white stitching and embroidery? I take it the stitching is synthetic and doesn't respond to leather dye. Is there something else I can use?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Two words, Bobby: Good Luck,...........

Actually, I said that with a smile, . . . because your project is not that hard, . . . and can be done.

You will want to clean the glove first, . . . get the dirt, trash, oil, grease, wax, . . . all that stuff off it.

Good old cheap rubbing alcohol will do that, . . . put it on a wash cloth, . . . rub the glove, . . . but since you are going black, . . . just get the dirt, . . . don't get all deeply involved in this part of the task.

Next, . . . let it dry, . . . at least one full 24 hour period, . . . maybe in front of a fan, . . . but no extra heat.

Buy Feibings pro oil dye, . . . and a package of their large wool daubers, . . . looks like a little wooly pom-pom.

Mix the dye with Feibings thinner, . . . 2 thinner to 1 dye should work, . . . and start daubing it all on.

Unlace your fingers, . . . and the pocket, . . . also the cuff, . . . dip the lace, pocket, etc. into a little pan full of the dye.

Just keep going over it, . . . first few times it will look like a muddy zebra, . . . but it will come around after several coats on each area.

Make sure you are wearing rubber or vinyl gloves, . . . this dye doesn't wash off, . . . but it will wear off in 6 or 8 days.

Again, . . . let the glove fully dry, . . . then put more vinyl gloves on, . . . grab a washcloth you never want to use on your face again, . . . and buff the glove, the pocket, the laces, . . . buff it like you are wanting it to shine, . . . which IS what you want it to do.

Apply a good coat of neetsfoot oil with another "never to be used" washcloth, . . . over the entire surface that was dyed. Let it dry another 24 hours.

Here, . . . you will need to make a decision, . . . is the leather still dry???? If it is, . . . add a second coat of oil.

When it dries, . . . give it a coat of Aussie wax or Atom wax, . . . I'm not into ball gloves, so I don't know for which of those would be best, . . . ask at the store.

Don't try to dye the inside, . . . and if there are stitches that did not like the dye, . . . finish the whole product with a Sharpie, . . . it'll blacken the stitches, . . . etc.

Again, . . . Good luck.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you for the detailed response, Dwight. It is much appreciated.

Two questions - is the neetsfoot oil important to the dyeing process, or is that for conditioning? I ask, because neetsfoot oil has fallen out of favor as a conditioner. If it's to condition, I'd rather use something else. (Players don't want their gloves to get to floppy, or too heavy with oil soaked leather.)

What does the Aussie or atom wax do?

Thanks again.

No, . . . neetsfoot oil is not for the dying process.

It is basically a preservative / conditioner. You may use many other things, . . . nothing will beat it for preserving your glove.

After the dying process, . . . the glove WILL BE dried out of some of the natural oils that produced a natural suppleness before you dyed it. The neetsfoot oil restores that.

That is where I told you to make the decision, . . . is it too dry? Without it, . . . it will be.

The Aussie or Atom wax are more a finish than anything else, . . . kinda seals it up, . . . makes it ready to use.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight