Rawhide

Pictures from the Boot and Saddlemakers Show

Here's a link to the pictures I took. Hope they are all ok. This link is not a public album, so you won't be able to google it.

Johanna, if you would like a copy of these pictures to post directly to the site, let me know and we can figure out how to get them to you.

Enjoy everyone. I'll try to answer questions if you have any, just post them here or send me a pm.

Marlon

Pictures

Thanks for the pictures, Marlon! A lot of very nice saddles and boots. Looks like it was shopping heaven.

Crystal

Thanks for the pictures, Marlon! A lot of very nice saddles and boots. Looks like it was shopping heaven.

Crystal

Was it ever! I tried to take pictures of the vendors' areas to give folks an idea of the products available.

Glad you enjoyed them.

Marlon

Marlon,

Thanks a bunch for posting the link to the pictures. I appreciate it, and a special thanks for showing pics of some of the exhibitors booths. Nice to see faces of some friends too. We haven't been to Wichita Falls yet, but plan to.

I hope this kicks up some interest too. A lot of people on these lists wonder what goes on at these shows, or asks "where can I get this or that?". Folks, this is it in a nutshell. You can go to these shows and put your hands on this stuff. People wonder what makes some old tools better than what you see in the catalogs now. You can handle them. You can look at stamps by Bob Beard, Wayne Jueschke, or Barry King and see the differences. Sit down and test drive mauls from a couple guys, swivel knives, whatever. Everyone is welcome. Attendance is the lifeblood of these shows. It has been worthwhile at every show we have been too. The friendships with vendors and other attendees have been just as valuable. Seeing the works on display is just the icing, the cake is what you can take home.

Great Job Marlon.

looks like a great show that I missed again.

Blake

Marlon,

Thanks a bunch for posting the link to the pictures. I appreciate it, and a special thanks for showing pics of some of the exhibitors booths. Nice to see faces of some friends too. We haven't been to Wichita Falls yet, but plan to.

I hope this kicks up some interest too. A lot of people on these lists wonder what goes on at these shows, or asks "where can I get this or that?". Folks, this is it in a nutshell. You can go to these shows and put your hands on this stuff. People wonder what makes some old tools better than what you see in the catalogs now. You can handle them. You can look at stamps by Bob Beard, Wayne Jueschke, or Barry King and see the differences. Sit down and test drive mauls from a couple guys, swivel knives, whatever. Everyone is welcome. Attendance is the lifeblood of these shows. It has been worthwhile at every show we have been too. The friendships with vendors and other attendees have been just as valuable. Seeing the works on display is just the icing, the cake is what you can take home.

Bruce,

You nailed it on the head. This is a place where you can test drive, feel, look, lift and gawk at all the tools and leather, etc. This is the second show I've been to and my wife and I had a blast. I also must mention a few of the vendors. I stopped by Wayne Jueschke's booth and we talk for a few minutes and he's really a nice guy with some fabulous tools. I also stopped by Bob Beard's booth, and let me tell you, what a nice guy. We talked like we knew each other for years. I also talked with Chuck Smith for a while and he let me see the holster he made that will be in the next issue of LCSJ. These are the best events to attend. Vendor's give you personal attention, love to talk and all have faboulous products. If you have the chance, go. My wife and I drove about 1.5 hrs. to the show and we are both thankful we went. I bought a few tools and a couple of stingray skins.

Marlon

Thanks Marlon. Oh man am I jealous! I would have loved to have been there. The pictures are the next best thing.

Thanks again.

Art

Thanks Marlon. Oh man am I jealous! I would have loved to have been there. The pictures are the next best thing.

Thanks again.

Art

You're welcome Art, sorry you missed it too. Maybe gas and airfares will be cheaper next year :rolleyes2:

Marlon, thanks very much for posting those pictures. Awesome.

Bob

Hey Marlon!

Thanks for the photos. I envy you being able to go and see all that stuff in person. It was nice to see photos of folks I've heard of but never had a chance to meet.

Mike

Slightly off topic, but I enjoyed those pictures - big thanks Marlon - and would like to attend a show. It just means travelling to the US to do it... As this is something of a major undertaking from the UK, which show would you say is the best? I want to see the top tool makers, fabulous 'stuff' and have a good time and hopefully meet a few of you guys too - It would really help me plan my vacation for 2009.

Slightly off topic, but I enjoyed those pictures - big thanks Marlon - and would like to attend a show. It just means travelling to the US to do it... As this is something of a major undertaking from the UK, which show would you say is the best? I want to see the top tool makers, fabulous 'stuff' and have a good time and hopefully meet a few of you guys too - It would really help me plan my vacation for 2009.

If I had to pick one, it would be the IFoLG show. I think that's the largest show, with the most vendors, and participants. Followed closely by the Sheridan Show.

Marlon

I haven't been to a IFoLG show yet, but we have been to Sheridan 3 times, Wickenburg the first year, Reno a few times, and Elko for Ferdco's show. If I had to pick one, Sheridan would be it for the first time. I hear from suppliers that do most all of them that Sheridan is far and away the biggest in attendance and definitely vendors. More total classes, more variety, and more sponsored social events. This past year had issues because the management was late in getting out class info and the schedule in any timely manner. Hopefully that is going to be fixed. I didn't hear the foot traffic numbers, but class sizes were down because of that. Three vendors said sales were average or better compared to past Sheridan shows.

I got my money's worth out of every class I have ever taken at these shows. It does help to research the class a bit to see if it is over/under your skill or expectation level. The social events are a blast, and a lot of friendships come out of the classes, socials, and vendor booths.

We've attended Sheridan and Wichita Falls both. I thought the show in Sheridan was a little bigger, and the after hours fun there was great, the Don King dinner and Sheridan Leather barbeque were great fun. The King's museum is right there and a good time, Tom Balding opened his bit and spur shop up for tours the days we were there and hosted a showing of Chester Hapes saddles and arranged a good bull session with Chester for folks who came by. We drove to Wichita the years we went and had a blast getting there and back. From where we live if you plan the drive right we visited the PRCA Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs, and was able to catch the TCA show at the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City that same week on the way home. And there were a lot of interesting stops all along the way. Both of these shows are great, it's hard to attend either one and not have a good time.

Thank you for sharing!

Kathy

thanks marlon, i love seeing these pictures....never been to a leather show in my life...its on the list WHEN i win lotto!!!

You're all welcome. I have sent the pictures to Johanna for permanent posting somewhere on the site.

Roo, If I win the lotto, forget going to the show, I'm moving to Sheridan!! :P

I planned on going but the wife's clutch went out last week. I'm jealous of what I missed.

I planned on going but the wife's clutch went out last week. I'm jealous of what I missed.

Sorry you missed it Richard. Hope you get the clutch fixed.

Marlon

Marlon,

Great pictures. Lots of boots and saddles for sure but some of the tables looked like they had other leather items.... were there classes for them to be judged in also?

Obviously I know nothing about this show.

Thanks for posting them

Dave

Great pictures, MArlon. Thanks.

By chance, were you able to check out Artisan's 20" splitter?

Ed

David,

They were only judging saddles and boots. The other items were just displays. I tried to get a shot of all of them, but I know I missed some.

Ed,

I did see the splitter, but not in detail, Sorry about that.

Marlon

Sooo.... who won the saddle contest? I had to leave early. It's a 6 hr drive and I didn't want to spend another night in that dump of a motel I had. By the way, if you ever go to the Wichita Falls show, do NOT stay at the Ramada Inn Limited. It's NOT a Ramada. It's a DUMP and they closed the pool eventhough it was 90 degrees out.

Marlon got me the pics (he is far more computer savvy than he lets on!) and I will get them up and in a formal gallery ASAP. Thanks for everything, Marlon- you're a star. :)

Johanna

In the floral category John Willemsma's saddle won Best Workmanship and Best of Show.

It's the 1st picture in the photos.

Don Butlers saddle won Best Floral Carving. Thats 2nd row 2nd saddle from left

Gene Bader won Best carving in the geometric class. 3rd row 2nd saddle