Roger J

So My Aunt Uses My Grandmother's Singer As Decoration...

We will be going there during the holidays, and I would like to ask for it, but only if it is useful for leatherwork.

Reading several threads here, it is clear that not all Singers would be good for leather.

Is there a list of mid 1930's Singer model numbers somewhere that identifies which models were appropriate for leather?

Are the model numbers in plain sight?

Any visual cues that would identify a model as good/bad for leatherwork?

The only information I have on it is that it probably dates to the 30's, came in a fold-out cabinet, has an electric motor, and has no pedal but rather a lever activated by the side of the user's knee.

Ideally I'd like to ID it discretely, without getting on all fours, and only bother asking for it if it suits my needs.

None of them are really any good for anything other than thin, soft leather. If you only need to sew a vest together, or a pair of leather gloves, an old straight stitch machine should handle it. Most of them are limited to sewing no more than 1/4 inch compressed thickness. But, if you intend to sew belts, bags, holsters or large upholstery panels, an industrial sewing machine, with a very powerful motor, is a must.

The old cast iron Singer sewing machines, mounted onto treadle bases, or equipped with tiny motors on the back, were made to sew fabrics. Industrial machines use 1/2 H.P., or larger clutch or servo motors. Leather goods are normally sewn on triple feed walking foot machines. These machines are mounted on 20" x 48" tables, or, in the case of cylinder arm machines, on adjustable height pedestal bases. They typically sew 3/8 inch of leather or cloth.

Home machines may be able to handle up to #69 bonded nylon thread. Industrial walking foot machines easily handle #138 and sometimes, #207 on top/138 in the bobbin. Most upholstery grade machines also have almost double capacity bobbins. Home machines have small, standard bobbins.

Real leather stitchers are very large and can sew over 3/4 inches, with #346 thread, or larger. They have 3/4 H.P. servo motors and speed reducers.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thanks Wiz, I guess the chances of the machine being a leather varient are pretty slim as I don't remember it being all that large.

Gonna have to wait for our next visit to find out.

Edited by Roger J

The only information I have on it is that it probably dates to the 30's, came in a fold-out cabinet, has an electric motor, and has no pedal but rather a lever activated by the side of the user's knee.

That means it is a "domestic" sewing machine, meant for making shirts, aprons, pants, doilies and household cloth items. It probably has a little black, 1 pound, .4 or .5 amp motor bolted onto its back side, that draws about 40 to 50 watts of power and produces about 0.05 (1/20th) horsepower.

Most industrial walking foot machines are powered by a 400 to 500 watt 1/2 horsepower motor that weights anywhere from 15 to 40 pounds and is bolted under the table.

Domestic sewing machines do not have walking foot drive. They are all feed dog driven machines (drop feed), with a flat presser foot. Some zig and zag, others just sew straight. Some have push buttons or computers to change the stitches. None of those machines are leather sewing machines. You need to consult an industrial sewing machine dealer who specializes in leather sewing equipment, to buy a real leather sewing machine.

My first industrial sewing machine was an old Singer 96-40 straight stitch machine. The dealer lied through his teeth when he told me it was what I needed to sew a leather vest. It was NOT. I needed a compound feed walking foot machine, which I bought elsewhere.