iamasmith

Alternatives To Tracing For Transferring Pattterns?

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this but I feel that I'm getting happier with the results when it comes to cutting in with the Swivel Knife and am starting to get nice clean and smooth curves in my work.

The one thing that's really causing me problems is getting the pattern onto the leather prior to carving.

I have a nice, neat outline, which I then trace and that looks reasonably neat too, then I move onto transferring this with a stylus with the paper taped over (using lo-tac tape) the leather. I'm finding that moisture from the leather is causing bulges in the tracing paper from time to time and that invariably I find the tracing to be a fairly nasty and crude representation of what I originally drew.

I have started to compensate a little trying to work the stylus to the side of the line so that I can smooth out with the knife and hide the stylus marks in the bevel or in the background but I feel there should be a better way of transferring a design to the leather so I can start with something more accurate.

Does anybody have any other approaches to using the tracing/stylus approach? I'm guessing there must be a way of printing an image from a computer and transferring in some way but I haven't come across this yet.

Any ideas folks?, regards,

Andy

When I transfer from paper to leather, I use saran wrap or a ziploc bag between the cased leather and the pattern. It keeps the paper from absorbing any of the water. For fine detail, I have started using the rounded point of a stitching needle as the stylus.

When I transfer from paper to leather, I use saran wrap or a ziploc bag between the cased leather and the pattern. It keeps the paper from absorbing any of the water. For fine detail, I have started using the rounded point of a stitching needle as the stylus.

Cheers, that's a top tip, at least it should stop the tracing paper bulging :)

Cheers, that's a top tip, at least it should stop the tracing paper bulging :)

To make the needle easier to hold in yor hand when tracing, tap the end of the needle with the eye, into a piece of dowel. You may need to drill a very small hole to get the needle started.

ferg

OK, I didn't read too much into the needle as a stylus idea when I first read it since the stylus I'm using is almost like a slightly rounded leather needle at the point.. am I missing something here?

Tandy sells "tracing film". It's a plastic of some sort that you trace your pattern onto, then transfer it to leather. It doesn't absorb any water and distort. If you are careful, you can use it over several times if you want to transfer the same pattern. Some people use clear contact paper or plastic page protectors to cover paper patterns to keep them from being affected by the moisture in the leather. The problem with covering paper with some sort of plastic is that sometimes when tracing over the multiple layers, you can get a fairly thick line from your tracing stylus and loose some fine detail. Kate Dubiel here on the forum has a way of printing a pattern and then transferring it to her leather that works very well for her.

HIdecrafters sells a tracing vellum that you can run through your printer. it works great. I have come to like it a lot more than the film. It takes a pencil and erases really well.

I have a couple of fine stlyus to trace patterns with, but for the last few years I use a trick that my dear departed friend Larry Huston told me to do. I have a few fine tipped, out of ink inkpens. After I make really sure that they are out of ink, I've found out like Larry said the ball point pens make some of the best tracing utensils out there. Just his idea, that he passed to me and I use it. I hope this helps someone. Billy P

HIdecrafters sells a tracing vellum that you can run through your printer. it works great. I have come to like it a lot more than the film. It takes a pencil and erases really well.

hunter what is the name of that stuff? does it work in ink jet printers? going to call ron on monday to see if i can get some of it

You could go to a local craft/art store for tracing vellum i picked up a pack of 50 sheets for like 6 bucks at Hobby Lobby.

hunter what is the name of that stuff? does it work in ink jet printers? going to call ron on monday to see if i can get some of it

Its called artists choice tracing vellum. It works great in ink jet printers. 20 sheets in a pack.

I just lightly wet my leather and trace it on with a mechanical pencil. I never use any tracing paper just the paper I print it out or draw it on. It just leaves a light scratch then I retrace it with the stylus.

i have been transferring using the laserjet and acetone method if i am going to dye in black http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=30822

i have been transferring using the laserjet and acetone method if i am going to dye in black http://leatherworker...showtopic=30822

ARG!! Curse you Leatheroo!! (ooh a rhyme-sorry) I need a printer and had all but decided on a ink jet and then you share that really spiffy trick- and now I'm undecided again!! GR! :)

That is a really really extra spiffy trick!! I could get into all sorts of trouble with that!!!

Read all the good comments.....went into the kitchen, got me

a trashbag.....cut it to a single layer.....layed it on my damp

leather....layed my paper drawing on top....used cheap Tandy's stylus and went after it....works great!!

Been using tracing paper for 15 years....NO more....haha....

Thanks ya all....

James

When I started out I had to improvise a lot and ended up using clear packing tape over the picture and a pencil to trace over it. You can control the width of the lines by sharpening or dulling the lead point. Works great and the pic can be used over quite a few times.

Moe