Lobo

This Week's Challenges

A few of the little things that have come up this week:

1. Customer ordered a Model 1-D-T Pancake with dual carry option and thumb-break retention for his S&W 3" Model 60 Pro, and it was sent out last week. Received it back in the mail this week with a note indicating the customer has decided to eliminate the thumb-break (reinforcement piece sewn into 2 layers of leather at the thumb release, plus the standard snap fixtures) and have it replaced with two metal eyelets so that he could tie a cord over the hammer when hiking/climbing, then remove the cord when access was needed. Customer enclosed $5.00 for the requested alteration (shouldn't take more than an hour or so, should it?).

2. Customer ordered the Enhanced Pancake model, left-hand, for his S&W Model 642. Received his new holster, sent a message on how pleased he was with it. Two days later e-mailed to say that he'd really rather have another holster model and, since this one was just like new (only put on the belt for a few hours, maybe ten or so practice draws) he'd like to return it in exchange for the other model (IWB-style holster).

3. Customer ordered a flap-style field holster, smooth leather lined, basketweave tooling, for his pre-Model 10 S&W M&P 4" revolver. Holster was produced and delivered, then customer discovered that his revolver was a 5" barrel model, wanted to know if anything could be done? Where did I put that leather stretcher?

4. Customer who ordered a 36" belt (provided specific instructions for measuring from tip of buckle to tongue hole in use) reported his new belt wouldn't fit, requested a 47" belt. I repeated the instructions for measuring a belt he was now using, resulting in a measurement of 40.5" at the tightest hole, but it was still "a little bit loose". Gotta be somewhere between 36" and 40" somewhere, I suppose.

5. Customer with a custom-made one-of-a-kind pistol wants me to make his holster, but he doesn't want to pay FFL transfer fees or FedEx shipping/insurance charges both ways. Why can't he just mail me his handgun and have me mail it back when the holster is done? (Anybody care for a few years making little rocks out of big rocks at a federal penitentiary?)

I am producing 25 to 40 items weekly for delivery to all 50 US states and customers in Canada, England, France, Germany, Finland, Denmark, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Australia, Italy, Israel, Greece, Switzerland, Korea, South Africa, Austria, Mexico, Hong Kong, Colombia, Norway, and the Philipines so far. As soon as the Russian Mafia and the Polish Underground Balloon Corps Reserve figure out which handguns will be standard issue I expect a couple of big orders.

Back to the grind. Still have to complete the convertible IWB-OWB adjustable cant, ambidextrous double holster rig with triple magazine pouch, handcuff case, iPod carrier, and 6-pack beer cooler for the 1896 Broomhandle Mauser with 2" bull barrel (anybody have the Blue Gun?), scope sight, laser, tactical light, and MP3 player (this one might require training wheels).

Rant over.:brainbleach: :poofan:

Ray, I've got a couple of high PSI quick release couplers I can send you for the plumbing on the kitchen sink on that new model.

Wow. Is that a typical week?

So what I'd like to know, is: What did you tell them?

tk

Wow! People can be ridiculous! Thanks for sharing... it's kind of like watching the World's Dumbest Criminals... enteraining and unbelievable.

Nick

Wow. Is that a typical week?

So what I'd like to know, is: What did you tell them?

tk

I wouldn't call it a typical week; more like examples of things that happen in this business, or any business where we are dealing with the general public. Here is what I told each customer:

1. Your holster was produced to your specifications based on my standard design and options offered. Eyelets and cord retainers are not available as options. Custom modifications of existing holsters are billed at a standard shop rate for time and materials, and such work is done when the schedule allows time.

2. My products are warranted against failures caused by defects in materials or workmanship for a period of one year with repair, adjustment, replacement or refund at my option. This does not appear to be the case.

3. My suggestion would be to offer the holster for sale to someone owning a 4" M&P revolver (there are millions of them in circulation), then order another holster for your 5" model.

4. Making another belt sized at 40" plus 2, minus 2, just as soon as payment arrives.

5. If I receive a firearm in the mail I will report it to the US Postal Inspection Service and cooperate fully in the investigation of felony violations of federal law.

MERRY EASTER EGGS RAY!!! Ain't dealling with the public ..... uh ..... interesting? Mike

Edited by katsass

Wow, some interesting problems. I hope I don't have anything like that, but probably will.

Actually, my first and only belt to date was a similar screw-up. A guy at work wanted me to make him a belt with a removable buckle. He said that he wanted it black, in a size 32. I told him that I needed to measure his belt. He insisted that all I had to do was make it 32". I told him that I really, really needed to measure it and he absolutely insisted that I did NOT and just make it 32".

Well, when it was done, he tried it on in front of me and it was at least 3" too short. He said that the belt need to be 32" to the center hole. I assured him that it was. He said to re-make it "this much longer" (showing me with his fingers). I won't even go into the rest of the story. The bottom line is that I did not make another belt for him and got nothing out of that one. We work together every day and nothing more has been said about it. We are still friends. I blame myself for NOT getting a measurement, as much as I blame him for not knowing what he was talking about.

I chalk it up as a learning experience but it kinda made me wonder if I really want to do this.

Nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Ray, In todays "I want it, and I want it now" and never mind reading the instructions......just send it to me...society, the mindset is to place the blame on someone other than oneself. The people who order a custom-made holster without thinking through what they want, even though it's been told to them or written out in bold print, the consequences need to fall squarely on the perpertraitor. You did well to do such. Semper-fi MIke

Entertaining read & so true!... A good thing to remember when dealing with public... Please don't use this story as a deterrent, but as a reminder to "have all your ducks in a row" as the saying goes. A written disclaimer signed by customer?...payment up front?... Sadly, a handshake & someone's word don't mean much to alot of people these days. Lobo set good example in dealing with his customers

I think it's the same for all small business owners, My wife and I own a photography business and the stories of Brides we could tell……………..

Wow! Over two years old and still being read and replied to.

Yes, I'm still dealing with these things just about every week.

Plus in addition to the "things that went wrong", . . . now he has to start getting ready for:

• Year end inventory so he can pay his personal property tax
  • Assimilate all the sales for the last sales tax reporting period (mine is twice a year)
  • File and pay his unemployment compensation
  • Determine which Obamacare he will support this year, unless he gets a deferrment, or a pass, or is dropped until 2015
  • File his federal income tax
  • File his state income tax
  • File his worker's comp paperwork

I probably forgot a few, . . . but then again, . . . that's what lawyers and 'countants are for.

Good luck, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

PS: I'm sorta glad I'm still working on rebuilding my shop, . . . might be able to stretch that out to 2014

Yes Lobo I thought it was worth getting updated so alot of us newer to the craft could read. I've had experience in retail in the past & I have to say people are an interesting study...

Harley I can only imagine the brides you have encountered. If they're anything like the bride/wedding shows my wife watches, Lord help ya!

Dwight- ah, yes, paperwork,paperwork,paperwork!... Yuck! But necessary.

I'm not yet a legitimate business in the eyes of Uncle Sam but am still doing all the paperwork- at least I'll know my profit/loss & can keep track of my spending.

Thanks guys for all your input!