OdinUK

Problem With Sticking Leather To Card Before Tooling

Im having problems when trying to stick leather to card before tooling.

First, I stopped using wide tape stuck to leather before sticking that to card with double sided tape because when I removed the leather, the adhesive from the tape was sticking to the leather and I could not remove this tack.

I tried to then use low tack Frisk film but that would not stick to the leather.

For my last attempts I have tried using self adhesive plastic film (sticky back plastic) because it seemed to have less tack than the tape. It worked fine but when I peeled it off the leather, ALL of the tack was left on the back of the leather and I found it impossible to remove!

Can anyone advise how I may remove this tack from the leather or recommend some other product to stick leather to card prior to tooling so that the leather does not warp or stretch too much? Thank you.

There are several threads on this. A lot of folks use rubber cement or sticky shelf paper

1. I use self sticking shelf liner. Seems to be the easiest to remove cleanly and you can do large pieces of leather

I use rubber cement to glue the leather to old x-ray film, or cresent illustration board.(depends on what I'm tooling), but after I'm done tooling, I remove the substrate and use a piece of crepe rubber to remove the excess tack left by the rubber cement. works like a charm. try the crepe rubber (found at hobby lobby or michael's, etc...) to try and remove the tack from your current projects, and see if it works.

I use rubber cement and the plastic flexible cutting sheets (about 1mm thick) found in kitchen supply stores. Apply the glue to the plastic, spread thinly and immediately place on the leather. The important thing when the project is completed is to pull on the plastic and hold the leather down as you separate otherwise you end up stretching the leather. I have used 50mm painters tape on the back of belt blanks.

(Thanks Rawhide, my 72 year old body has been x-rayed so many times I will have an endless supply of backing material) Never thought of it before your post.

Thanks for the advice everyone. If I find shelf liner Ill try it out. I'll also order some rubber cement. I was unable to remove the tack on my current project so I used contact adhesive to stick a thin liner to the back of the project.

Ive not had much success with most tapes. I find the tack sticking to the leather is worse when it has been on for a long time and when I keep the leather cased for extended periods and stored in the fridge!