TwoCrow

Tool handles

I started doing these for practice. I would like to see what you all have done and the small projects you have done to learn.

tool.jpg

tool.jpg

tool.jpg

post-5234-1200492572_thumb.jpg

Love the handle. Is that a Turk's Head or a braid? I have been practicing with para cord since it is cheaper than leather or rawhide. Planning to give a go at making some romel reins out of rope and para cord to give me something I can use and to get some practice in.

Mike

Very cool..... very

I put a lot of knots on Headstalls and reins for practiceBraidingPhotos_137.jpg.

Your handle looks great!

Heather

BraidingPhotos_137.jpg

post-5205-1200520053_thumb.jpg

Heather,

Wow, I was going to take pics of the turk's heads I added to my headstall, but after seeing yours mine looks kinda crappy. :)

I will try to remember to snap a pic tonight when I ride anyhow.

Mike

Mike,

I will try to get a picture of the very first knot I put on a headstall.

You wont be shy about posting after seeing that ...lol...

Keep practicing and you'll see improvement on every knot.

Heather

I really like that tool handle which knot is that on there?

Rob

Here are a few things I've learned on.

002.JPG013.JPG015.JPG

post-5521-1200537909_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1200537939_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1200537993_thumb.jpg

Here is a shufly I made tonight. I need to get a way to bevel my lace so my knots will hopefully lay flater.

shuFly.JPG

post-5537-1200556183_thumb.jpg

TwoCrow, Very good job on your interweave! You built a nice base or casa and then added the first interweave in and the second without distorting the first! If you keep doing that quality work you've got it made! I'm not at home so I don't have an pics of the tools I've done but I do have a pic of a noseband i did with different interweaves.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

What your hands do; it's your own eyes that have seen
B0b Marley - Pass it on!

Simrat_Bosal_noseband.JPG

Simrat_Bosal_nose.JPG

post-1670-1200606593_thumb.jpg

post-1670-1200606778_thumb.jpg

Thought I would try out the shoofly, just finished it up tonight.

paulas_shoofly_3.JPG

paulas_shoofly_2.JPG

post-5521-1200627428_thumb.jpg

post-5521-1200627486_thumb.jpg

Nice work all, Thank you.

I am curious how the rest of you braiders look at a button. I have heard about the “Math” of a button but I have never seen the “equation”. I personally see patterns, is there someone out there that can explain the “Math” or give me references.

Thanks all, I enjoy seeing your work.

Just got back home and snapped some pics of the tools I've covered. I haven't done any in quite a while so maybe I'll do some more soon.

braided_tools.JPG

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Your worst enemy could be your best friend; and your best friend your worst enemy!
Bob Marley - Cap Fit

post-1670-1201058285_thumb.jpg

Nice work all, Thank you.

I am curious how the rest of you braiders look at a button. I have heard about the "Math" of a button but I have never seen the "equation". I personally see patterns, is there someone out there that can explain the "Math" or give me references.

Thanks all, I enjoy seeing your work.

I was hoping somebody smart would respond to this... but since no one has come forward I'll supply a link: knot theory link which is but a start.

I'm a certified Math Moron so I can't speak about the math. And for some reason knot theorists will make up knots that cannot be tied. Maybe there is a really good reason to do that, but I have no clue what the reason is.

OK TwoCrow, you do this for PRACTICE? I have a lot of those tools if you are needing more practice. . . .

If not, how did you get started doing this? Or, to cut to the chase, how do I do this? I may have to catch the next flight out to wherever you are and bring a six pack & spend a couple of days.

Good looking work -- I want to do that, too!!

Mike

-- Jealous in Manchester, TN

Edited by MikeG

Here is a 3 pass gaucho I tied at lunch today. I think I am finally starting to get the hang of this a little. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo I took it with my phone. :) How does the knot look though?

Mike

gaucho3pass.jpg

post-5537-1201211244_thumb.jpg

Here is a 3 pass gaucho I tied at lunch today. I think I am finally starting to get the hang of this a little. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo I took it with my phone. :) How does the knot look though?

Mike

gaucho3pass.jpg

That's a cool looking knot, I've been practicing with it myself. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like maybe you need to go around one more time. Looks like some pairs still need split. Don't know correct me if I'm wrong.

Rob

HorseHair: I TRIED reading the Knot Theory page you sent me but my brain started to hurt. Thanks for the effort.

Mike: I started braiding tool hands to learn different interweaves and to be able to cover awkward shapes. I hated to un-tie the nice looking knots I braided over a dowel when I first got started braiding. They look a lot nicer on a tool handle or something more practical. I don't braid much these days but I like to grab a tool and wrap some roo around it to practice.

The tool in the the photo I start with a 2X long-button for my ground button then added an interweave through the whole button extending the knot at the end of the handle with the interweave thong. The narrowest part of the handle can't support another thong so the third interweave is worked through 3/4 of the of the ground button. A fourth interweave is needed around the largest part of the handle to fill in gaping.

My instructions aren't great (Sorry) but a good book to reference is Braiding Rawhide Horse Tack by Robert L. Woolery. Its the best book I have found for different interweave options. Shout back if you have any questions.

Hope it will get you started, be sure to post your work.

Happy Braiding,

Luke

Very possible, I stopped when I ran out of room on the mandrel. :) I would need a larger diameter mandrel to go around anymore than I did.

Tonight I want to give the double gaucho of 2 or 3 passes a try with para cord. Seems like it would make a good handle cover for my flashlights and in a pinch would give you several feet of para cord you could pull off for other uses.

Mike

That's a cool looking knot, I've been practicing with it myself. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like maybe you need to go around one more time. Looks like some pairs still need split. Don't know correct me if I'm wrong.

Rob

Ok, didn't seem to like the 2mb file I just tried, so I shrank it a bit. Here is a double gaucho 2 pass I tied in para cord for my flashlight handle tonight.

Let me know what you think.

Mike

double_gaucho_knot_smaller.jpg

post-5537-1201232368_thumb.jpg

Hey Mike, Rob was right you needed to finish the knot. You can get the knot tighter on the mandrel and there should not be any gaps between strands. You are developing a pattern and should try and correct it now. When tying knots and braiding there are so many knots and patterns and variations that it gets to be partially muscle memory so learning habits should start now. Even with the paracord your "v"s should be tighter and each leg of the v should be the same length. Look back at some of the other braiding in this post. You can go back and finish the knot on the mandrel if you can figure out where you left off before completing the knot, if you look just even with the top of the 3 on your mandrel there are two strands that are parallel running down from right to left that should have strand running up from right to left starting out between them. That is what I see in the picture. When you add the missing lace in your knot will be tighter but not too tight. You can go back and tighten a knot up by pulling the strand backwards and tightening as you go. It is great that you are trying different knots and using different materials to learn just make sure to not leave out he basics.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

If you're tumbling down from above, help the weak if you are strong!
Bob Marley - Trouble

Hey Mike, Rob was right you needed to finish the knot. ...

Alan,

Thanks for the feedback and the little nudge to work harder and pay closer attention to the details. I did put another lap on the 3 pass knot; still not sure it was right though. I untied it last night and will give it another go today at lunch. I'd say this stuff is harder than it looks but I always thought it looked plenty hard to begin with. :) When I first picked up Grant's book I couldn't make heads or tails of what he was trying to tell me, so I am progressing abate a bit slowly.

This site has been a great help and inspiration to keep pursuing learning this craft.

Mike

Hey Mike, I think every braider should have a little box or something that they keep all those messed up knots and braids in. I was looking at mine and some of the stuff in there it is pretty obvious why I cut it off but there are some that are actually "not quite". There's a Cowboy poem about someone learning from their Dad the difference between a job well done and "not quite". I have a jar full of "not quite". Louis Ortega always said he took on very few students because he could hardly find anyone willing to cut up their work and start over if it was "not quite".

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Propaganda spreading over my name, Say they want to bring another life to shame
Bob Marley - Bad Card