Sign in to follow this  
paradoxbox

Camera Half-Case Disasters, Help?

I'm trying to make a half camera case something like this:

http://g3.img-dprevi...7BE5CCF192C.jpg

The problem is that after I start sewing the bottom and side pieces together, the case stops fitting the camera.

When my stitching reaches the 2nd "corner" of the case, it starts to get real bunched up and the case no longer fits on the camera.

I have a feeling that it may be a combination of problems but I want to get some expert opinions before I re-cut some more leather.

I grooved the bottom of the side piece as well as the bottom plate of the leather 2mm from the edge, then I saddle-stitched the pieces together. I have a feeling that around the corners the stitches are supposed to be more loose?? But I don't know exactly how to do that without screwing up my stitches or creating big tangles and knots..

Other thing I think may be wrong is that while the bottom plate is cut to slightly larger than the actual camera dimension (About 2mm larger) I guess it needs even more sizing up?

Any help?

Here's a test case I did that demonstrates the problem - the excess leather gets bunched up before stitching the last corner (forgive the roughness of it, it was just a general test)

post-26744-067273300 1330827320_thumb.jp

Edited by paradoxbox

you should probably make a wooden mold the shape of your camera body and fit the body of the case around it, then cut your bottom to fit, and sew it with the wooden mold still in place.

just my $.02

Marlon nailed it, make a wooden or some kind of form the same size as your camera. Cut and shape the body of the case around that and sew the ends together, then cut your bottom to size to fit. Rememberto leave room at the bottom for the bottom piece to fit. Another way to do the bottom is to make it out of thicker leather and leave it flush and stich it at a 45 degree angle rather than making it concave like your example. Scribe a line at about 3/16" around the bottom edge of the body and aroun the edge of the bottom and stab your awl at an angle between those two guidelines, (if that makes sense.) a lot of cases are made that way.

Bill

Hi Paradox

When you sew any item you use place dots or marks to ensure that you are not gathering or stretching the item. For items such as you are making, start by marking where the corners meet the body and put a small mark on each with a fine felt pen. then mark the bottom and the body where they are to meet up by putting dots exactly opposite each other approx 1.5inches apart. this will eliminate the guess work and the gathering that is happening now. Gringo bill is right about stitching at a 45% angle and using a heavier bottom piece. You will note that this method is used in most Cases and Luggage. The corner stitches are simply made by making a larger outside stitch angled to make a smaller stitch on the base to accommodate the corners neatly. A stitch groove is used in the bottom but only a guideline on the body so that the lighter leather doesn't allow the stitches to pull in too far. I hope this of help to you.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

I'm trying to make a half camera case something like this:

http://g3.img-dprevi...7BE5CCF192C.jpg

The problem is that after I start sewing the bottom and side pieces together, the case stops fitting the camera.

When my stitching reaches the 2nd "corner" of the case, it starts to get real bunched up and the case no longer fits on the camera.

I have a feeling that it may be a combination of problems but I want to get some expert opinions before I re-cut some more leather.

I grooved the bottom of the side piece as well as the bottom plate of the leather 2mm from the edge, then I saddle-stitched the pieces together. I have a feeling that around the corners the stitches are supposed to be more loose?? But I don't know exactly how to do that without screwing up my stitches or creating big tangles and knots..

Other thing I think may be wrong is that while the bottom plate is cut to slightly larger than the actual camera dimension (About 2mm larger) I guess it needs even more sizing up?

Any help?

Here's a test case I did that demonstrates the problem - the excess leather gets bunched up before stitching the last corner (forgive the roughness of it, it was just a general test)

all good tips.....one thing might help is to glue it up first. if it doesn't fit when glued, it won't fit together when stitched.

as a side point, i've never made a wooden mold at any time while making the camera cases that i made for myself. i actually cut the leather by eye and it came together really nicely.

optimally, you'd want to make a wooden mold. if it's not possible, you can fit the leather around the camera and mark it thoroughly with a pen before cutting it out. then double check the fit after cutting.