Natalie O

Camera Strap

Hi everyone. My best friend graduated from art school and i wanted to make her a strap for her nikon camera as a present. I ve been looking on some of the nikon straps to get an idea of how to make it, but it seems i ll have to use the nylon ends, in order for it to get attached to the camera. All i have is tooling leather and some goats leather at the moment. How can i make this happen? I think that if i just sew the nylon ends to a piece of hide it will look bad. Any ideas? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Just sandwich the nylon piece between two pieces of leather. that way you get the tensile strength of the nylon and the asthetics of the leather...

How thick is the goat? Will something like this work?

For ideas check out Etsy.com and search leather camera straps, you will see many examples of how it can come together. Many of which use only leather for the entire project.

I have a camera strap for my DSLR on my to do list as soon as I figure out what I am doing:).

How thick is the goat? Will something like this work?

It is 1mm thick at best. I ve heard though that when i ll dye the hide and the goat they will look different. Is that true?

For ideas check out Etsy.com and search leather camera straps, you will see many examples of how it can come together. Many of which use only leather for the entire project.

I have a camera strap for my DSLR on my to do list as soon as I figure out what I am doing:).

Thank you for the site! I am already checking it out and it has some good ideas!

Just sandwich the nylon piece between two pieces of leather. that way you get the tensile strength of the nylon and the asthetics of the leather...

Thank you! Thats a nice tip....i am worried though about the strap being too thick like that.

here is a strap that has some kind of core,, it looks real nice. I would the fashion the carry strap so the nylon was in the actual connection to the camera,, in this example the core may be a pad,, but you get the idea!

http://www.etsy.com/...search_type=all

Edited by bigorange

I just double checked my Nikon and it has square tabs similar to the chrome one's shown on this camera, except vertical. So, you could rig up something like this for it. You could also make a small strip that attaches just like the nylon then fold it over into a loop and rivet it back on itself. That would keep the little keyring out of the mix.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/115839973/wanderlust-leather-camera-strap

I just double checked my Nikon and it has square tabs similar to the chrome one's shown on this camera, except vertical. So, you could rig up something like this for it. You could also make a small strip that attaches just like the nylon then fold it over into a loop and rivet it back on itself. That would keep the little keyring out of the mix.

http://www.etsy.com/...er-camera-strap

Thanks! Yes i was a bit worried about the metal part scratching the camera. I ll just have to buy thinner leather then. I dont think mine would go through that small gap and my skiver is a nightmare. It would take hours to thin it down.

I wouldn't worry about it scratching the camera at all. A keyring there wouldn't really be able to touch the screen and the bodies are pretty hardy composite material. But, I think the leather would look better. You could start working on your strap and then, if you want to use either of these methods, attach it later with the clips.