SouthernCross

What Do I Need To Cut Leather? - Newbie Alert!

What kind of general-use cutting instrument do I need to cut leather for my projects? I plan to start out making some archery armguards, maybe a holster for my revolver, etc..

I don't know whether I need one of those medieval-looking knifey things or a pair of scissors/shears. Currently, I'm using my box-cutter.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

What kind of general-use cutting instrument do I need to cut leather for my projects? I plan to start out making some archery armguards, maybe a holster for my revolver, etc..

I don't know whether I need one of those medieval-looking knifey things or a pair of scissors/shears. Currently, I'm using my box-cutter.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

You can use whatever you feel comfortable using, as long as it's sharp enough. Many people use utility knives. Some use scissors, some use scalpels, and some use a head/round knife. The bottom line is the same: It just has to be wicked sharp.

You can use whatever you feel comfortable using, as long as it's sharp enough. Many people use utility knives. Some use scissors, some use scalpels, and some use a head/round knife. The bottom line is the same: It just has to be wicked sharp.

Are there any good videos showing a head knife in use? I'm good at learning by watching. I learned more about cross country skiing from watching videos of it being done right than by reading about it.

Here's part 1/3 of a series from particle. He uses a round knife to cut out the holster pattern. It shows how you can get surprisingly small curves and details using such a big knife.

Edited by EricDobson

Here's part 1/3 of a series from particle. He uses a round knife to cut out the holster pattern. It shows how you can get surprisingly small curves and details using such a big knife.

Thanks! I thought you'd cut by pulling rather than pushing. My father used to install floor covering and he used a knife like this on linoleum.

post-15650-080889500 1284946623_thumb.jp

I use the Kobalt 9.5" heavy duty scissors shown in the photo. These are available at Lowes for around $20.00.

I use these to cut up to 9-10 oz. veg-tanned all the time, regularly producing 25 to 40 holsters, belts, and pouches weekly. My apprentice can cut out 12 to 15 holster patterns in an hour.

One set has been in use for nearly 2 years and has required only one touch-up of the edge using a diamond sharpening steel.

post-7487-035012500 1284986026_thumb.jpg

I use the Kobalt 9.5" heavy duty scissors shown in the photo. These are available at Lowes for around $20.00.

I use these to cut up to 9-10 oz. veg-tanned all the time, regularly producing 25 to 40 holsters, belts, and pouches weekly. My apprentice can cut out 12 to 15 holster patterns in an hour.

One set has been in use for nearly 2 years and has required only one touch-up of the edge using a diamond sharpening steel.

Thanks, Lobo - I'll grab that very pair next time I'm in Lowe's.