Shane in Baton Rouge

New Orleans Tandy Store

Hi all,

I made my second 2 hour each way to the Tandy Store in New Orleans today. I picked out the same bug bit, scratched 8-9 oz veg tan half shoulder that I bought about 2 months ago for 3.99. I was able to get some nice black holsters out of the last one, being careful of my layout, avoiding the flaws.... It was heck to mould, but turned out to be very stiff and durable when finished.

I picked up a bottle of pro dye and went to check out, having never been asked if I needed help after being in the store for 10 minutes. I noticed there was a new manager, and I believe that she was the clerk who rang me up. She told me my total was 140 dollars. I told her, no its just the half shoulder and the dye. She said the half shoulder was 8 and a half square feet, and 10.99 a square foot. I told her to please recheck the price, as there was fine quality finished black double shoulder in the back of the store for 7.99. I also told her that the same piece of leather was 45 dollars 2 months ago. She shrugged her shoulders and said "prices go up".

I also asked her about the osborne 4" damascus knife that had been on sale for 49.00 in the last circular I got. She said $149 dollars, and she didnt know anything about it ever being on sale. She didnt look happy to be working there, and she certainly wont ever have to worry about having to wait on me again.

I told her to cancel the sale on the leather, paid for my dye and left. Once home, I visited the Tandy site, and found NO black 8-9 oz cowhide that sells for 10.99 or even anything above 7.99. I dont understand why she wouldnt even take the time to double check it for me. I sent an email to the manager via the Tandy website, and I have not received a response as of 3 hours later. I understand that its a big company, and there are many fine, engaged managers around the country, but this store may be in trouble if this attitude towards repeat customers continues.

I will buy online from Tandy dealers for my unique items such as certain unique conchos, but my business will be done with several of the tried and true suppliers that I found advertising on this site. I wont visit the New Orleans store again. This is my own experience, and I am simply very disappointed that in this economy, that an employee would basically run off a customer with poor attitude and service.

Shane Evans

Evans & Sons Gunhide.

Baton Rouge, La.

Edited by Shane in Baton Rouge

Shane, thanks for the feedback. I've dealt with Tandys that had great staff...and others not so great. I guess it's a sad fact of life for any chain of stores.

I had the same kind of problem with a nearby Tandy’s so I just started calling a Tandy's that is about 2-1/2 hrs from me and having them ship it to me. With the price of gas you will break even just having them ship it especially if you get better service also. Give the Raleigh's NC Tandy's a call and ask for Aubrin, if you don't mind let him know I sent you. They respond to email really good for me so far

Here is the numbers

Tandy Leather #148 - RALEIGH-148

Manager: Aubrin Rhem

raleigh@tandyleather.com

6514 Old Wake Forest Rd, Ste 130

Raleigh, NC 27616

USA

Phone: 919-981-0021

Fax: 919-981-0024

Toll Free: 888-812-0010

Store Hours:

Monday-Friday: 9am - 6pm

Saturday: 9am - 4pm

Sunday: Closed

Or, contact the store in Hoover, Al and talk to Chance. He's one of the good ones, and a pleasure to deal with.

1845 Montgomery Hwy S. #215

Hoover, AL 35244

USA

Phone: 205-982-4490

Fax: 205-982-4493

Toll Free: 800-936-3214

The Tandy store in Austin run by Dennis Guerra is awesome. My understanding is that he ships orders all over the country. When I am there he is constantly taking phone orders and putting boxes together. Give them a try.

On a side note, I would give Springfield Leather or one of other sponsors a try. I personally know that Springfield will want to know what your application is so they can connect you with the right product. Their button is listed above in the banner.

Good luck and sorry you experienced this. Good luck.

I second King's X suggestion of SLC, all of the ladies that answer the phone are pleasant to deal with and I've never been unhappy with an order or price with them.

As for the leather, why not give Wickett & Craig a try. Even their 8-10 oz overstock veg tan is better quality than 95% of Tandy's best hides and it runs $107 for an entire side. With shipping to CA (from PA) I pay about $130 and they'll split it to a lighter weight for free if you ask.

I've met Aubrin in person, and both in shop and via phone have had good service there. I also really like the Charlotte, NC store.

I visited the New Orleans store on Jun 25 and had a very different experience. I spent close to 5 hours in the store (my second visit) and had several people with me. The staff was very friendly. Both ladies were sales associates, as the Manager was no longer with the company and the new manager had not arrived yet. I do most of my ordering by phone, but Kristian knew who I was the second she heard my name. The other young lady was new to the store and was still learning her way around, but was very friendly.

I purchased 8/9 oz double shoulders for $4.79 sq ft. I made several other purchases and everything was the same price as listed in the catalog and online. The only damascus knife I have ever seen at Tandy is the Al Stohlman brand and it sells for $149. They did offer a round knife for $49 in the last flier, but it was not the Damascus knife, it was the standard Al Stohlman knife. My first trip to the store, I had the same good experience. The previous manager spent a great deal of time with me on that trip.

I think many times, our individual attitude affects how we are treated when we enter a place of business, at least that has been the case for me.

I visited the New Orleans store on Jun 25 and had a very different experience. I spent close to 5 hours in the store (my second visit) and had several people with me. The staff was very friendly. Both ladies were sales associates, as the Manager was no longer with the company and the new manager had not arrived yet. I do most of my ordering by phone, but Kristian knew who I was the second she heard my name. The other young lady was new to the store and was still learning her way around, but was very friendly.

I purchased 8/9 oz double shoulders for $4.79 sq ft. I made several other purchases and everything was the same price as listed in the catalog and online. The only damascus knife I have ever seen at Tandy is the Al Stohlman brand and it sells for $149. They did offer a round knife for $49 in the last flier, but it was not the Damascus knife, it was the standard Al Stohlman knife. My first trip to the store, I had the same good experience. The previous manager spent a great deal of time with me on that trip.

I think many times, our individual attitude affects how we are treated when we enter a place of business, at least that has been the case for me.

Well, a new manager just called me on the phone. Like new this morning. He was great. Answered my questioned. Stated that there had been a mistake and I placed an order. The knife WAS half off, and the black leather was actually TWELVE DOLLARS a foot. Ross knew the product because at his old store they had to sell it for half off. (still too much)

Ross was great, and made things right with me.

I WILL make another trip down to shake his hand and spend some more money.

That is outstanding news!

Glad to hear all went well with resolution! I do have to agree that there are times (not all, though), that my own attitude upon entering the store affects how I feel about the service. I've been in retail long enough to know there are some customers that walk in the door in a bad mood. Even then, I feel the store has the burden of providing excellent service. That's what they're there for, after all.

Shane,

I've been shopping at that Tandy store for MANY years now and have NEVER incountered HALF of what you are claiming!! Prices are what they are, YOU should be very aware of this. You buy the leather, make an item and sell it.....for PROFIT!!! Do you think Tandy will sell you something without there profit margin? YES, prices do go up and NO, Tandy does not have to tell you about it. You will find out on your next purchase. And why is it taking you 2 hours to drive from Baton Rouge to New Orleans???? I make that drive every weekend (from Baton Rouge) and it only takes me an hour and 15 minutes, driving the speed limit. Not assuming anything about your driving habits, but thats not Tandys fault.

As far as the "same bug bit, scratched" leather you tried to buy......you as well as everyone else on this site knows that you have options. If you don't like what you see, you have the option of buying somewhere else. It's called a free market society!! You make holsters, well, I'll make sure I buy my holsters from someone who's not complaining about the leather at Tandy!! I've purchased my leather from several different sources and trust me, Tandy notices. Not to making excuses for Tandy, but they did change tanneries because of the quality of leather was decreasing at an incredible rate. BUT, in the meantime, they have literally thousands of hides in their warehouse that need to be sold. So, they will sell those FIRST before putting out the "good stuff", to recoup their money. If you don't like the conditions of the leather, again, find another supplier.

As with the employees there, yes, that store has had some issues, just like any other business. Kristin is not the manager but she is one of the most knowledgable employees I know!!! When she quotes you a price, there is no mistake, that's the price. Ross is currently the new store manager and he is a great guy, I met him this past Saturday. The "attitude" you received was NOT attitude, it was someone doing business with you and not bowing down to your request and from what I've read, it pissed you off. All I can tell you is.......Cry a river, Build a bridge, and GET OVER IT!!!!

Hi all,

I made my second 2 hour each way to the Tandy Store in New Orleans today. I picked out the same bug bit, scratched 8-9 oz veg tan half shoulder that I bought about 2 months ago for 3.99. I was able to get some nice black holsters out of the last one, being careful of my layout, avoiding the flaws.... It was heck to mould, but turned out to be very stiff and durable when finished.

I picked up a bottle of pro dye and went to check out, having never been asked if I needed help after being in the store for 10 minutes. I noticed there was a new manager, and I believe that she was the clerk who rang me up. She told me my total was 140 dollars. I told her, no its just the half shoulder and the dye. She said the half shoulder was 8 and a half square feet, and 10.99 a square foot. I told her to please recheck the price, as there was fine quality finished black double shoulder in the back of the store for 7.99. I also told her that the same piece of leather was 45 dollars 2 months ago. She shrugged her shoulders and said "prices go up".

I also asked her about the osborne 4" damascus knife that had been on sale for 49.00 in the last circular I got. She said $149 dollars, and she didnt know anything about it ever being on sale. She didnt look happy to be working there, and she certainly wont ever have to worry about having to wait on me again.

I told her to cancel the sale on the leather, paid for my dye and left. Once home, I visited the Tandy site, and found NO black 8-9 oz cowhide that sells for 10.99 or even anything above 7.99. I dont understand why she wouldnt even take the time to double check it for me. I sent an email to the manager via the Tandy website, and I have not received a response as of 3 hours later. I understand that its a big company, and there are many fine, engaged managers around the country, but this store may be in trouble if this attitude towards repeat customers continues.

I will buy online from Tandy dealers for my unique items such as certain unique conchos, but my business will be done with several of the tried and true suppliers that I found advertising on this site. I wont visit the New Orleans store again. This is my own experience, and I am simply very disappointed that in this economy, that an employee would basically run off a customer with poor attitude and service.

Shane Evans

Evans & Sons Gunhide.

Baton Rouge, La.

Kevdbry, I find your post in this thread to be inflammatory and condescending. Shane was simply expressing his experience and was kind enough to follow it up with how Tandy attempted to reconcile the situation. Shane brings up valid points in his posts, i.e. pricing has changed since his last visit and there's a discrepency between the in store price and what's listed on the website. Shane has every right to post his negative experiences with a vendor, other members have also done the same. I've also noticed a general lack of good customer service from my own local Tandy store (with the managers not the sales people) and I no longer utilize them for supplies unless I'm in a bind. You have a right to refute Shane's opinion, but at least do it in a civilized manner w/o inciting a flame war.

Kevdbry, I find your post in this thread to be inflammatory and condescending. Shane was simply expressing his experience and was kind enough to follow it up with how Tandy attempted to reconcile the situation. Shane brings up valid points in his posts, i.e. pricing has changed since his last visit and there's a discrepency between the in store price and what's listed on the website. Shane has every right to post his negative experiences with a vendor, other members have also done the same. I've also noticed a general lack of good customer service from my own local Tandy store (with the managers not the sales people) and I no longer utilize them for supplies unless I'm in a bind. You have a right to refute Shane's opinion, but at least do it in a civilized manner w/o inciting a flame war.

:thumbsup: I was thinking the same thing. When someone's third post on a forum has more flames than a bonfire, all I see is "Troll" and the rest of their post is fodder.

Edited by Spinner

Kevdbry,

You should be using the Tandy in Tucker (aka Atlanta). Much shorter drive than New Orleans. We like to hear when someone has difficulties so we can try and turn it around. Some folks are too shy to call TLF in Ft. Worth and complain, but there are those of us who will let the powers to be know that someone is having problems. That's why Leatherworker.net is here. It is hard enough keeping your own family towing the straight and narrow, imagine trying to keep track of 100 stores all over the country. Believe me, everyone on the train wants to know when you have a wheel off the tracks.

Art

Shane,

I've been shopping at that Tandy store for MANY years now and have NEVER incountered HALF of what you are claiming!! Prices are what they are, YOU should be very aware of this. You buy the leather, make an item and sell it.....for PROFIT!!! Do you think Tandy will sell you something without there profit margin? YES, prices do go up and NO, Tandy does not have to tell you about it. You will find out on your next purchase. And why is it taking you 2 hours to drive from Baton Rouge to New Orleans???? I make that drive every weekend (from Baton Rouge) and it only takes me an hour and 15 minutes, driving the speed limit. Not assuming anything about your driving habits, but thats not Tandys fault.

As far as the "same bug bit, scratched" leather you tried to buy......you as well as everyone else on this site knows that you have options. If you don't like what you see, you have the option of buying somewhere else. It's called a free market society!! You make holsters, well, I'll make sure I buy my holsters from someone who's not complaining about the leather at Tandy!! I've purchased my leather from several different sources and trust me, Tandy notices. Not to making excuses for Tandy, but they did change tanneries because of the quality of leather was decreasing at an incredible rate. BUT, in the meantime, they have literally thousands of hides in their warehouse that need to be sold. So, they will sell those FIRST before putting out the "good stuff", to recoup their money. If you don't like the conditions of the leather, again, find another supplier.

As with the employees there, yes, that store has had some issues, just like any other business. Kristin is not the manager but she is one of the most knowledgable employees I know!!! When she quotes you a price, there is no mistake, that's the price. Ross is currently the new store manager and he is a great guy, I met him this past Saturday. The "attitude" you received was NOT attitude, it was someone doing business with you and not bowing down to your request and from what I've read, it pissed you off. All I can tell you is.......Cry a river, Build a bridge, and GET OVER IT!!!!

Mijo,

You are absolutely correct......he does have the right to express himself and his experiences........and so do I. Tandy has a way of correcting issues and its not through this forum. Its through their management staff or coporate office. From his post, all I heard was a lot of wining. Sure, even I have had bad experiences, but instead of crying about it on a forum, I went straight to the problem and fixed it there. Why involve all these other people in your personnal issues? This forum is (or was) designed for individuals who love working with leather in all facets of the industry. To share ideas, questions and successes with leather. Not a crying post because of a bad experience. If you feel that my statements were inflammartory and condescending, then you will understand, that's how I deal with winers, I stop the wining and nip the problem in the bud.......no more problem or wining. I'm a straight shooter, I don't hide behind forums to make myself heard. If I have a problem, I go straight to the source, not to an online forum so others can feel my pain. Any questions?

Hi all,

I suppose that he did not read the whole thread before posting.

I forgive him, the manager at the store made things right with me and took the time to explain the price issue on the leather.

He honored the sale on the Damascus knife, and I ordered it.

I will patronize the store again because of the solid way he treated me.

His own post indicates problems with past employees.

I was only sharing my own experience, not attacking anyone.

I was, am and will be a customer because Ross took the time to explain the price issue.

The person that waited on me did not.

The leather was purchased at a price that has made it difficult to sell.

The last Manager apparently extended me a discounted price on it because it was a slow mover, but he didn't tell me about the favor he extended. I am grateful for it now that Ross explained that to me.

Ross recalled the same batch and type of leather at the store where he formerly worked.

The fact that Kevin knew who waited on me, while I did not is instructive.

I enjoy this forum and have learned alot here. Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, but felt that it was appropriate to share my experiences.

Both the not so positive at first, but also the very positive and professional resolution of it.

My post was made here only after my emailed attempt to contact a manager went awhile unanswered.

Shane

Edited by Shane in Baton Rouge

Art,

Again, free market society. I wasn't aware that I "had" to use a particular store location. Plus, I live closer to the Chattanooga, TN location than the Tucker store. PLUS, because you brought it up, I'm working in Baton Rouge and have been doing so for many years now. As far as someone being shy about calling the Ft Worth office, I understand that some people do not have the back bone to call about an issue and can hide behind forums. If there are wheels of the track, just tell THEM, not everyone else who don't want to hear about the crying. As you can tell, I don't sugar coat things. Read the reply I sent to Mijo and that should explain things, no sence in typing it twice.

Kevdbry,

You should be using the Tandy in Tucker (aka Atlanta). Much shorter drive than New Orleans. We like to hear when someone has difficulties so we can try and turn it around. Some folks are too shy to call TLF in Ft. Worth and complain, but there are those of us who will let the powers to be know that someone is having problems. That's why Leatherworker.net is here. It is hard enough keeping your own family towing the straight and narrow, imagine trying to keep track of 100 stores all over the country. Believe me, everyone on the train wants to know when you have a wheel off the tracks.

Art

Jeez Kev, looks like most of the crying, whining and attitude in this thread is comin from you buddy. Chill out, go kick a puppy or somethin to make you feel better. "No sense in typing it twice" Hell Im sure most of us woulda been happy without you typing it once,

Art,

Again, free market society. I wasn't aware that I "had" to use a particular store location. Plus, I live closer to the Chattanooga, TN location than the Tucker store. PLUS, because you brought it up, I'm working in Baton Rouge and have been doing so for many years now. As far as someone being shy about calling the Ft Worth office, I understand that some people do not have the back bone to call about an issue and can hide behind forums. If there are wheels of the track, just tell THEM, not everyone else who don't want to hear about the crying. As you can tell, I don't sugar coat things. Read the reply I sent to Mijo and that should explain things, no sence in typing it twice.

Edited by rickeyfro

Shane came on here expressong valid concerns, some of which were rectified by the new Tandy manager. Kevdbry come on with only 3 posts ranting like a lunitic. Most of what he is saying would only make since if you do not think about it. It truely sounds like Krvdbry has some sort of personal intrest in this. Not sure what, but hard to believe anyone rational would post what he did.

Shane, hope things are better now. There is a new manager, possibly some of the issues that were created in the short time the last one was there can be fixed. And yes, all Tandy stores are supposed to be selling from the same price lists (this can be confusing, there are more than one).

Aaron

Ok,

Enough said, I'm closing this one down.

Art

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

When this thread was originally posted, I notified Tandy headquarters and was pleased to see the problem resolved promptly and satisfactorily.

I have no idea why the additional flaming began, but Art was right to put a stop to it.

Johanna