Shooter McGavin

Setting Snaps On The Cheap.

"How the heck do I set these snaps?" is a question that seems to come up pretty frequently.

So I've put together a quick photo tutorial on the way I do it. Theres lots of other ways that will work, this is just the cheapest, and most reliable, way that I've personally found.

I've tried pliers, presses, punches, hopes, dreams, and cuss words. This is my solution. Not meant to be the definitive "snap setting" thread, but it's a nifty way to do it with tools one may already own.

Photos were taken with a camera phone so please forgive the quality.

Photo 1: Tools used. Counterclockwise from top: Hammer, Tandy snap setting tool, 5/16 hole punch, sharpened center punch or prick punch, handheld bevel tool, dampened belt loop, other piece from Tandy snap set tool kit, button and socket pieces of the snap. Notice post hole has already been punched in belt loop with 1/8" hole punch.

1Large.jpg

Photo 2: Button side of snap pushed through hole in belt loop, bevel tool used to press damp leather into recess of button. I just happen to have the bevel tool handy, you can use just about anything though.

2Large.jpg

Photo 3: Place the socket over the button post, and use the 5/16 hole punch and hammer to lightly tap the socket into the leather, compressing the damp leather and seating the socket firmly. The curved piece from the snap set tool kit should be under the assembly at this time.

3Large.jpg

Photo 4: Button post protruding through socket.

4Large.jpg

Photo 5: Use the center punch and hammer to flare the post.

5Large.jpg

Photo 6: Post is now flared. This makes the job of the roll crimper tool easier.

6Large.jpg

Photo 7: Use the hammer and roll crimper tool to roll crimp the post to the socket.

7.jpg

This same process is used to set the eyelet and stud.

Hope this helps somebody. I know setting these dang snaps was a major headache when I first started messing with leather. I've spent hundreds of dollars on snap setting tools to come around to this method. A photo tutorial such as this would have been priceless.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I'll give it a try. I never had much luck.

Art

I just came accross this, great tutorial Dan.. Thanks, Matt

-- I know setting these dang snaps was a major headache when I first started messing with leather. I've spent hundreds of dollars on snap setting tools to come around to this method --

New guy here with no special tools for this... Thanks for this bit of info

Nice, I'll have to remember this. Wonder if you make the center punch work on grommets if you used a bigger punch.

now to find where the heck i can buy snaps! lol will deffinately try this! (though i have a hand hole punch lol)

I will try this next time i set snaps.

Ah, er, I was watching for someone to comment on the use of a standard claw hammer, or any other hardened metal hammer to strike the punch and setting tools. That's asking for trouble in the form of ruined tools at best or at worst, high-speed flying steel shrapnel from a shattered tool or hammer face. You don't want to take that in the eye!

Much better to use a dead fall hammer if you're looking for something from any hardware store or an actual leatherworker's rawhide mallet, or my personal preference, a good heavy maul.

Have fun with your leatherwork but BE SAFE!

Michelle