SchrodingersDog

Longer/deeper Stitch Punch

Hey all, new to leather sewing and been lurking the forums soaking up as much knowledge as I can.

Working on some thicker layered leather pieces nearly an inch thick in some places and my little 4 pronged stitch punch cant make it through all of them... It sure is a pain in the butt trying to get them to line up on both sides... short of using an awl is there a company that makes a longer stitch punch that can clear more leather?

Thank you

or doing the non-drill method if you want a slightly more traditional look...

http://youtu.be/lCFTDqQaEIc

I use a diamond awl blade chucked in a drill press (not turned on) The awl blade passes through very thick leather fairly easily alll you have to do is turn the handle on the drill press does not take much effort. Keep waxing the awl blade to make it easier to pass through the thick leather.

Thank for the replies. I thought about using a drill press and probably will. I was looking at the Tippman boss and thought how it was essebtially a complex drill press.

It still seems like machining a long pronged stitch punch is not out of the question. Unless the blades would bend if they were longer...