mrtreat32

Dixon Slim Line Pricking Iron. Few Questions

Im going to be in MA this week visiting my family and I happened to find out that there is a Dixon dealer in the area. Was thinking about picking up a pricking iron and maybe another tool while Im over that way.

I have read some comparisons in the past about different irons and Dixon compared to Blanchard ... most of what I have read states that the Dixons make bigger holes and that seems to be the downside in some peoples opinions. I had the company forward me a brochure and a price list which lists all of the pricking irons in standard size and also "slim line". Was wondering if anyone has used a Blanchard and a Slimline Dixon and how they compare? Im thinking the slimline will be closer to what the blanchard offers?

Have a Blanchard now and really like it but want to expand the spi sizes available to me and at a third of the price this seems like the best alternative.

I also noticed the pricking irons pictured in this catalog are black and silver. Other retailers that I have searched online they appear to be all silver in color? Any differences that anyone is aware of?

Most people say that vintage tools are far superior but it seems some tools by these modern makers are still of decent quality. Is there anything else in the Dixon catalog that people feel is still a good quality tool that I should pick up. I could use a skiving knife if anyone has used theirs and recommends as well as a french edger.

thanks

Ken Chapman is a nice, nice guy, he'll try to do anything he can for you. I talked to Joseph Dixon (not his name but a direct descendant) a few years ago and he told me his father had tried modernizing their manufacturing methods and it didn't work so he was going back to the old ways. I think the black paint is just so they don't have to finish the whole tool. I have several irons with black paint and have never had any problems with them, the oldest being about 22years old and used in a shop situation with others besides just me using them. The last few I bought did not have paint on them.

I'm lucky enough to live about 40 miles away from Dixons. I've got a few tools of theirs, two pricking irons one half black and the other all 'silver' (ie self-coloured) and a few edgers etc. Without exception all are really good quality. As for slimline..... (Have to check online catalogue....)

BW

Claire

Just checked online, can't any reference to slimline?

Edited by ClaireAshton

Ten years ago i ordered a smasher for somebody and I would have been embarrassed for my trashman to see it. I got one for the shop yesterday and it was beautiful.

Kevin,

The descendent is Chris Williamson. He is a nice guy. I had posted a picture somewhere of an old Dixon plough gauge I have. He emailed me for better pictures so he could show his grandmother. Kind of neat. .

That is cool Bruce, thanks for the name.