Sign in to follow this  
Ian

A new, wet molded seat

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. At first I was dissapointed that he didn't want braided edges, but, now I'm liking the stiched seam a lot

spikes_seat_2.jpg

spike_s_seat_2.jpg

post-6120-1237486161_thumb.jpg

post-6120-1237486188_thumb.jpg

I'm often the one to put my thumbs up for braided stuff opposed to stitched BUT a well thought through stitching job can surely equal that of a Mexican roundbraided edge.

Think you nailed it!! This seat is killer!!! :notworthy:

You can be proud, grab a beer and relax tonite!! Tomorrow...new seats, I think handstitching may be in demand when this one hits the streets;-) Sharpen your awl!!

:cheers:

Tom

You can be proud, grab a beer and relax tonite!! Tomorrow...new seats, I think handstitching may be in demand when this one hits the streets;-) Sharpen your awl!!

:cheers:

Tom

Tom, thanks for the good words. I'd like to take credit for handstitching, but I did that on the machine. Actually, I haven't done anything but minor handstitching since my harness making days - barely even have callouses on my hands anymore.

Wow that is super! Great job!

Tom, thanks for the good words. I'd like to take credit for handstitching, but I did that on the machine. Actually, I haven't done anything but minor handstitching since my harness making days - barely even have callouses on my hands anymore.

Oh, I just automatically assumed handstitching because that is the feeling I have most seatmakers use but all the better for you. Make that machine useful.

It's not the stitching in itself I like it's the way you have incorporated it overall, to work with the design and and making a good border for it to run along and good edges.

Tom

It turned out real nice I like the color(not black) and the stitching is very well done.

Nicely done! Is that the final color?

So what's the trick to molding it so nicely? Do you vacuum bag it? Tell me, PLEASE! I'm always fighting it. Is there a tutorial on here somewhere? Matt

So what's the trick to molding it so nicely? Do you vacuum bag it? Tell me, PLEASE! I'm always fighting it. Is there a tutorial on here somewhere? Matt

Matt, I do seats differntly than some guys.

If you take apart a stock seat, you'll see the pattern is not flat. I don't know how other seat makers make a flat panel fit a deep seat. Even with hours of wetting and stretching, I can't do it without wrinkles. So, I make the pattern as though I was going to do the cover in upholstery leather - just like a pattern for a stock seat. I do the top panel and mold it to the top, then attach the side panels, wet just the sides then stretch the sides around the bottom edges. I dye everything before I assemble. I swear, doing it this way, I can cover a bowling ball without a wrinkle.

Here's a picture I posted a few days ago of the top carved and shaped

1aaaaspike1.jpg

post-6120-1237511807_thumb.jpg

That is by far the nicest wet molded seat I've seen posted here yet. Very well done.

Edited by outcast

Matt, I do seats differntly than some guys.

If you take apart a stock seat, you'll see the pattern is not flat. I don't know how other seat makers make a flat panel fit a deep seat. Even with hours of wetting and stretching, I can't do it without wrinkles. So, I make the pattern as though I was going to do the cover in upholstery leather - just like a pattern for a stock seat. I do the top panel and mold it to the top, then attach the side panels, wet just the sides then stretch the sides around the bottom edges. I dye everything before I assemble. I swear, doing it this way, I can cover a bowling ball without a wrinkle.

Here's a picture I posted a few days ago of the top carved and shaped

Thank you Ian, That info will help a lot. It looks like you made the pattern for the sides after you made the top, I think I'll try that too. I sometimes I think about how I'm going to make it all fit together way too far into the process. I've only made two seats and have been happy with how they turned out. But now want to learn to do them smarter and better. You looked like the right guy to ask. Matt

P.S. This was my first seat. I pounded that background tool on here for hours.

386110819_b60a40a4be.jpg