pnj

Some Of My Stamping Attempts

I posted one of these in another section because I didn't realize there was a specific section for tooling/stamping.

I have super cheap tools and a tandy knife. I need to get stropping paste because the knife is very dull. I'm stuck with these tools for awhile because I can't justify spending $25.plus on just one tool. :(

I have no interest in what I would call "traditional" or western style stamping. The subject matter is what drives me to want to pick up the tools and stamp.

I have a hard time getting the teeth too look right. The knife either isn't sharp enough (It's very dull) , won't make such tight corners or I need more practice with a sharper knife.

I also find the tools to be very small. Hard to hold onto and hard to see. :/

I plan to use this thread to post my latest works and hopefully see some improvement over time.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

post-55627-0-49795300-1417284932_thumb.j

post-55627-0-03145800-1417284937_thumb.j

post-55627-0-55073600-1417284944_thumb.j

Hi Pnj, you can get jeweler's rouge (the white stuff) at Springfield Leather Company for under 4 bucks http://springfieldleather.com/24713/Jewelers-Rouge%2CWhite%2C1-8-lb/

To avoid paying shipping though if that's all you want try hobby lobby or michael's or tandy if you have one close to you. You won't believe the difference it makes. Cheryl

You can also go to Lowes and get the no.5 polishing compound (in a stick). It's what I use (also no.3).

I read this tip here: For the small tool handles, take 1 of each size to the auto parts store and buy some rubber hose that each tool will fit into fairly tight. The hose will increase the tool size.

any thoughts or suggestions on these pieces?

I used a strait edge for the strait lines of the letters in the "roast" one.

post-55627-0-67739200-1432482923_thumb.j

post-55627-0-50032500-1432482926_thumb.j

post-55627-0-29215300-1432482929_thumb.j

Edited by pnj

Pnj look at some YouTube video on the carving aspects and practice your cuts also look for videos on how to sharpen the knife. And +1 on what was said about the hose except look for clear vinyl hose at Lowes or home Depot way cheaper and looks better. Cost as low as 75 cents per foot that would cover 4 tools .

Edited by stealfdawg