Freddo

Beginner questions about Edge Beveling and dyeing

I was hoping someone could answer some questions about edge beveling and dyeing for me. I am about to finish off some 3-4 oz bookmarks and give them as xmas gifts.

What is the order when "finishing" a product? Is it:

1. Bevel Edge
  2. Dye Item
  3. Dye Edge
  4. Slick Edge
  5. Finish Product (with Leather Finisher)

If not, which order do you use and why?

I read in one of my books that the felt applicators are used for oil based dyes, and that you should use brushes with the waterbased dyes. Can someone explain why?

Is there any issue with using an applicator with the Eco-flow dyes from Tandy?

Is Fiebing's British Tan an oil based dye or a water based dye? Should I use brush or applicator?

Thanks in advance gang!

Fred

Hi Fred,

There will probably be several different opinions, so be prepared to do some experimenting.

I'm not sure why anyone would say the daubers shouldn't be used for water-based dyes. I have used them on numerous occasions with water-based dyes (including Eco-Flo) for color washes with no problems. I use the brushes when I am more particular about exactly where I want the color to go.

Kate

I was hoping someone could answer some questions about edge beveling and dyeing for me. I am about to finish off some 3-4 oz bookmarks and give them as xmas gifts.

I read in one of my books that the felt applicators are used for oil based dyes, and that you should use brushes with the waterbased dyes. Can someone explain why?

Is there any issue with using an applicator with the Eco-flow dyes from Tandy?

Is Fiebing's British Tan an oil based dye or a water based dye? Should I use brush or applicator?

Hi Fred,

There will probably be several different opinions, so be prepared to do some experimenting.

I'm not sure why anyone would say the daubers shouldn't be used for water-based dyes. I have used them on numerous occasions with water-based dyes (including Eco-Flo) for color washes with no problems. I use the brushes when I am more particular about exactly where I want the color to go.

Kate

Just wanted to add my "2 cents" to the previous reply. If ya ask 10 saddle makers a question.....you're sure to get 12 or more different replies! Anyway, there is NO reason a DAUBER can't be used for all edge dyes of any type....oil or waterbased!! However, I always burn the fuzz off ALL my daubers by simply igniting them like a "tiki torch" and let 'em burn for a moment before blowing them out. You will find a "crusty" ash, kinda like a roated marshmello.....but if you rub it off with your fingers, the dauber will be ready to use. Finally, I hang all my used daubers on a rack because I only use oil dyes....and daubers can certainly be used over numerous times (one color per dauber).

Edited by buckeroo1

Fred,

If you will go the "How do I do that" section in the forum, you will find an explanation of edge finishing written by Bob Park (Hidepounder) that is the best I have found. He can finish an edge better than anyone I have seen. I keep trying to duplicate his results, but haven't quite been able to achieve his finish. It gives you something to shoot for.

Terry