HC009

How To Keep Things Clean When Dyeing Leather?

Hi,

I only opened a bottle of fieblings dye and poured some into another bottle and found hands and work surface covered in dye which I could then not wipe away easily - it seems to be impossible to get off. Does anyone have any tips for how to stay clean when mixing dyes etc. of course I will wear gloves next time.

Also does anyone know if there is a tool for punching the prongue bar hole on a belt buckle - I cut it out myself but it took ages - there must be an easier way?

Many thanks.

When i dye i keep a piece of cardboard box under what i'm dyeing and use it when i pour from one bottle to another. When the cardboard gets really messed up throw it away and get another piece.

I've used a turkey baster (it's like an enormous eye dropper, and you can find them in dollar stores) to transfer dye from one bottle to another.

I tried pouring directly from bottle to bottle, and it was too messy to bother with again (even though I did it over a sink).

I use plastic ink syringes. (like these)They are great because they have the numbers on the side which aids in accuracy when you are diluting your dye with denatured alcohol. I have a lot of them laying around my screen printing shop. They are actually for my Dye Sublimation inks and whenever I order ink they always send me some, but I found they work great here too. They help a lot because I make a mess when I pour dye into another container. I buy my rubber gloves from the dollar store and I always wear them because I always to seem to get dye every where. I also started wearing a apron because so many pair of my light colored garments have tiny dye spots all over them. The card board under the piece of leather, I do that also. I usually just reuse the boxes items are shipped to me in. If I am out I can always use a free postal shipping box. I airbrush my dye on so I will use my card board pieces many, many times before discarding. But if you get dye on your hands, use cold water to clean it off, I am told that hot water will set the dye and make it more difficult and stubborn to remove. Their is also a product I use in my screen printing shop for when I am tie dyeing shirts that helps it come off a bit quicker as well, it is called ReDuRan. I once had a tiny pin hole in one of my gloves and the tip of one finger was purple, this stuff cleaned it up. I did use a nail brush to get around the nails, but this stuff did get it all off.

Karina

Get a shallow plastic tray and use it under your bottles when working with the dyes. Fold a sheet or 2 of newspaper to put in the bottom of the tray to absorb spills.

I also use the syringes to transfer dyes for dilution. Go to your local pharmacy and look for 60ML ones. They are big and hold lots of dye. You will need one for each color you will work with. Some 18 gauge needles would be useful as well.

After use, store them in individual ziplock bags for next time.

As for the tongue slot, you are looking for an Oblong punch, also called a Bag punch. You can get them from most leather tool suppliers... Tandy, SLC, etc.

There was also a thread just posted about tools, jigs and so on that had a user show his homemade punches. He used conduit and from the pictures, they looked better than some of the commercially made ones.

How about a used cookie sheet or sheet pan?

I keep my dying table covered with butcher paper, really inexpensive and when it gets bad, I wad it up and throw it away. I wear Nitrile Gloves when dying. stays pretty clean.

Chief

The dye will actually scrub off with a stiff brush. Ol' hot water and soap too.

cover my bench in contractor's paper like Chief and by bulk gloves from Costco (best price I've found). If you spill on your hands, wash up immediately with alcohol.

I use the same paper I use for packing to cover my bench. I don't wear gloves. I get a little dye on my hands every now and then. I figure it's a good conversation starter about leather work.

Gloves at Harbor Freight are about $5 a box if you use their cupon, . . . makes em a nickel apiece, . . . and sometimes they can be used several times.

They'll keep your hands clean, . . . but as for bottles of dye, . . . pouring, . . . mixing, . . . blending, . . . re-pouring, . . . I have a funnel that keeps all that spilling down to a mild roar, . . . rinse it after every use, . . . sits in a little glass jar when not used.

My sink in my dye area is black, green, brown, white, blue, purple, pink, red, . . . and maybe several shades of other colors. It's a plastic sink, . . . some day when it gets so groady that even I cannot stand it, . . . I'll replace it, . . . and work on decorating the next one. They're in the $50 range and change out in an hour or so.

I always do my glueing and dying work over that sink, . . . on a piece of cardboard or corregated PVC, . . . which gets hidden beside the sink when not in use.

You have to be a clean freak to not have some evidence of dye process in the area, . . . and I'm not against that, . . . I just have higher priorities than all that.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use an old (big, around 5'x3') glass tabletop to cover my dye bench. It's super easy to clean from any dye, paint or glue. To clean up any dried glue and paint I just use an old razorblade or the kind you get for the glass stowe tops is great for this, the dye comes of with just some spirits.

I usually go outside when I need to do anything with dye...that and wear latex gloves.

Edited by TXAG

great ideas here. here's what i do. i keep the adhesive paper lid on the bottle after i take the cap off of it. punch a pin hole in the paper top and squeeze out the amount you wish to mix. that's the easiest way i've found to do it.

I do all my mixing over a sink, but my dye area gets covered by a cheap shower curtain liner I buy from walmart. It is just a piece of frosted plastic and costs less than $2. It is thick enough to keep reusing, I just wipe it down after I'm done dying (I spray all my dyes now). The curtain gets stained, but when I want to replace it, it will be really cheap. Each curtain can be cut, I get 3 sheets out of each one. I use a separate one to spray my resolene.

Generally, the first thing I do when I'm going to dye something is head out into the garage with my nicest shirt on. And immediately splash dye on it. Come back inside grunting and groaning. Change shirts. And go back out and finish.

I picked up some gloves similar to this recently. I really like them. Waterproof on the palm and breathable on the back. Easy on and off. I like them better than the thin nitrile disposables.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_315096-21760-LW37719-L_0__?productId=4564836&Ntt=gloves&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgloves%26page%3D2&facetInfo=

As for transferring dye. I find it easier if you are transferring it into a jar with a larger mouth. I just stick the bottle in the jar and dump it out. I bought a box of 8 oz jelly jars today to start mixing dye into. I usually do my transferring out in the yard. Don't have to clean up the grass.

That's a great idea Ramrod. I always wind up having to cut the little plastic out anyway. I never thought of just leaving it. I think I'll try that next new bottle I open.