Alamo

Alphabet/number Stamps?

Howdy y'all! :cowboy:

I'll be able to get started on my projects in just a few days (finally on spring break!), and one of the tools I would like to purchase are some alphabet stamps.

Very recently, I stumbled across this set of stamps online. http://www.harborfreight.com/36-piece-1-4-quarter-inch-steel-letter-number-stamping-set-35121.html

Do you think these will work with leather? I would love to use these if they're suitable since they are a great deal cheaper than the Tandy kit.

Should I give them a try? I can return these if ya'll aren't too sure about how well these will do the job.

Thanks in advance, and I hope to show off my work to ya'll soon!

Alamo

The stamps will work on leather but their a PITA to keep lined up as in straight.

I purchased a set like that from eBay. I tried it on latigo and bridle, which is what types of leather I work with, and found it less than adequate. The stamps don't leave a deep enough impression and the letters weren't clearly visible. The stamps also came covered in oil which I wiped off and the stamps started to rust.

Those are made for punching metal, so keep that in mind. I have seen people use similar stamps in the past, but I can't say they were from HF. Even though the styling options from from Tandy are quite lacking, the results are quite good and have a lot more character. The Tandy ones are also basically self aligning. So, those would be usable as an option, but I would also keep your eyes open here and on Ebay for a set of craftool stamps.

Thanks a ton for the replies!

I think I'll give these a try, and if I'm less than satisfied, I'll return them and get a decent sent from Tandy or FleaBay

I have a set that i have used. I do not know if those are grooved to help keep

the letters and numbers aligned right. Mine are- belonged to my dad.

I use a metal 3 foot ruler to help space them right and it's thick enough to

keep from leaning away from you or towards you.I also made wood shims

to support the ends of the ruler so I can clamp the ruler down Scraps of the same thickness

of leather working on keeps the ruler from bowing.

The other thing is how hard to strike for correct impression. that takes practice.

If impression is deep enough but not as deep as you want they fit back in sometimes.

to me they have a limited use. I use print shop for fonts and can size them to fit what ever size project I am working on.

Whew-------- Joe

I have the HF set and use them for putting my initials inside of Tandy's generic makers stamp. They work excellent for that purpose. TAP LIGHTLY or the heads impression will imprint in the leather, however practice will get you there. HF sells larger size sets too but I find the ¼" to be suitable for what I do.

Excellent, thanks for the reply!

I'll definitely be swinging down there tomorrow first thing in the morning to grab a set

i bout my letter stamp set from tandy while on sale. i'm pretty happy with them. they do thier job. ;)