Sign in to follow this  
pepin1948

Need suggestions

My 91 yr old granddad has recently been moved to a nursing home. I'd like to make something special for his door there. He is a retired minister, and was in the Navy in WWII. I'm thinking of doing the Navy logo with a cross behind it? Don't know, but would like some suggestions. It would be a square of leather, with a loop on the back to hang it with.

Holly, I don't know if this will help any or not. But, the first thing I thought was if there was a way to find out if his ship or battle group had their own logo on their ships. Kinda like the Pilots did, along the same lines the bomber "Memphis Belle". Maybe incorporate that with the navy coat of arms and cross like you said. It's just a thought.

Holly, I would add his name somewhere. Then the cardboard "name tag" on the door can be taken down. The things I have made for my grandmother when she went into the home and the guest book for my first wife's funeral are, and will always be, my best work.

Bruce Johnson

Holly, I would add his name somewhere. Then the cardboard "name tag" on the door can be taken down. The things I have made for my grandmother when she went into the home and the guest book for my first wife's funeral are, and will always be, my best work.

Bruce Johnson

Bruce, What a great idea, a guest book. Not all people needing to go to homes have poor memories but many do. A guest book so when the family visits they can check to see if anyone else has been there. There is usually a table or dresser available to put one on. Tom Katzke Central Oregon

Holly,

Have a little more thinkin' time now. Tom hit on a great suggestion - a guest book for Grandad. Mine was for a different purpose and was done with my wife's favorite patterns, and the cover had her name in her handwriting style tooled in - another story. I would do what ever you can to make Grandad's room different than any others. My Grammy had a leather clock with her favorite flowers tooled in (she was a daylily and hosta guru). The picture frames were leather covered and tooled, and she had a tooled leather wastebasket to keep her crochet supplies in (and to hide the dried beef she wasn't supposed to have). Leather Bible cover, Wheel chair or walker pocket, a lot of possibilites. Make it so Grandad's room doesn't look like every other one with $5 wood framed pictures, plastic garbage can, KMart photoalbum. They are living there, not just staying there. When they get to this stage in life, give them something to show off from the grandkids. It is a conversation starter for guests and the nursing staff. And the guy in the next room doesn't have something just like it. Even though I was 2000 miles away from my grammy, we had a connection through what I made for her. Her "cowboy" grandson in California made it for her, and everybody knew it.

Bruce Johnson

Thanks for all the terrific suggestions!

When I went to visit today, I noticed that unlike where my grandmother stayed, this home kept doors primarily open, there was only space for one "item" (he has a roommate), no name plates on the door, and there was already a wreath on it. So I will go for something to decorate his side of the room.

His name should be on it to keep it from getting stolen. Sad but true... I have several aunts in nursing homes.... and things without names don't last long... some is staff, some crazy other residents... at least if the name is on it someone else may realize whatever it is did not belong to them and return it...

Sorry to hear that Holly. My condolences.

Regards,

Bill

I appreciate that :hug:

He was 91 and had lived a full life. He'd fallen ill at the end and died peacefully in his sleep. The only problems throughout were issues with his "fiancee" - who no one in our family cared for (my grandmom had passed away 8 yrs ago).