Sign in to follow this  
jbird

Dave Jones "5 way rigging"

Howdy yawl

Ok I have a question not to stir up a hornets nest but you no I am pretty new to saddle making and the things related there to, the question is have any of you used the( Dave Jones "5 way rigging") system and if so would use it on a saddle not made for any particular horse and if not why and what would you use thanks

Josh. :helpsmilie:

Ashley,

a long time ago Dave Jones published an article in Western Horseman. The idea behind it was to fit a saddle to a horse with (if recall correctly) very pronounced and long withers. For a front rigging he put 3 re-inforced slots in the skirts (sort of an all leather in-skirt rigging). The front slot was ahead of the full position, the 2nd slot at the full and the 3rd at the 3/4 position (if I remember correctly), so you can rig the saddle in 5 positions. I think I still do have the whole article. So, if of interest let me know and I can try to put in a pdf format.

Tosch

thanks tosch would you, I think there is an article in the stohlman first book on saddle making about the 5 way rigging.

josh

Edited by jbird

I am sorry, looks like I throw the article away along with lots of others when I cleaned up my files about a year ago :ranting2: .But looks like his book "Making and repairing Western Saddles" can still be had (for @$100) as a quick google search suggests. I would assume he had put his 5 way rigging method in there, although the book was published in 1982 and I assume the article dates back to the late 1980/early 1990s.

Tosch

Hi jbird,

if it is not too late for you I might have a piece of good news for you. :wave:

When looking through my files again, while looking for something else, I found an article by Dave Jones. I might have overlooked it first since the title does not directly suggest "5 way rigging". And I am certain there also was another article by him. At least this article and the pics should provide some insight to his idea.

To me it is not quite clear whether in the end he settled for rawhide reinforced slots in the skirts or whether he used a 3-way metal rigging plate. But the article also invites to contact him including his phone number... but whitepages.com suggests his area code has changed to 850.

The article is nearly 20 years old, and he learned saddlemakeing 40 years prior to that....

Hope this helps.

Tosch

Dave_Jones_5_way_rigging.pdf

Dave_Jones_5_way_rigging.pdf

Thanks Tosch

Art

thank you for looking and taking the time.

Josh

You are both very welcome!

I am glad after all this time it still is of use to you.

Tosch