This was a project of firsts! It was the first time I ever basket weaved (well I practiced on a small piece first), the first time I ever tried making a box shaped item and the first time I ever tried lining anything. Needless to say, I learned a LOT! I'm not too proud of this one, but I am happy with the result based on my experience.

I put this in the show off thread because I want to show it off but please feel free to critique! I want to get better and I would love to hear your input.

I made a lot of mistakes in the order I did things and I rushed some processes before something was truly dry or what not. I'm also not happy with the Herringbone stitch on the back. Suggestions?

I think I may just go smoke a cigar to celebrate a successful project :)

You can check out more pics of it here.

_MG_0041.jpg

_MG_0029.jpg

_MG_0034.jpg

_MG_0036.jpg

_MG_0039.jpg

_MG_0027.jpg

Hey I love this and the aged look of it. Great work and experience I'm sure. You're gonna push me to make mine that I peeled up a while back. Keep at it. :deadsubject:

Very cool!! I really like this. You did an excellent job on it.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

The case looks great. The 1990 is a great choice to; they are my staple cigar. I may have to try a case like that. Did you use veg taned for the lining?

think it turned out great

I ever heard there are some people

who like collecting cigarette box,

but I have not seen one.

Maybe you are the first, I suppose.

:whatdoyouthink:

The case looks great. The 1990 is a great choice to; they are my staple cigar. I may have to try a case like that. Did you use veg taned for the lining?

Yeah I really dig the 1990 and 1992. The lining is a piece of chrome tan just glued in with barge. I let it air out for a week or so before I put sticks in it :)

looks great. you sure picked a hard basketweave stamp to learn on.

the standard baskweave stamp only is rectangular and lines up on either end long ways not at all 3 sides.

great job.

as far as stitching the the back area where the leather buts up against each other stitch it like you do your shoe laces.

Looks great! Good idea.

I love it! Did you create the pattern or get it somewhere. I'm trying to think if I saw that in a Stohlman book.

What weight leather did you use on the outside and the lining?

Stitching in the top and bottom would be a first for me, as well as the lacing. I think I could do the lacing better than the ends, they look tricky.

I love it! Did you create the pattern or get it somewhere. I'm trying to think if I saw that in a Stohlman book.

What weight leather did you use on the outside and the lining?

Stitching in the top and bottom would be a first for me, as well as the lacing. I think I could do the lacing better than the ends, they look tricky.

I just made up the pattern :) I'm doing another one right now that will be MUCH better! I used 8 or so oz veg tan for the outside and some really lite chrome tan for the inside. For the top and bottom I beveled the edge the best I could and stitched it up. On this next one I planned to have a little more material so I can trim and burnish it to a better edge. The plan is to glue it, stitch it, trim and burnish. We'll see how it goes.

Glad you all liked it!

caint wait to see the next one

Hey BigRiver, were you waiting for the next one or did I say I would post a pattern (sometimes my brain stops... rolleyes2.gif )

I posted this one a little while back and detailed the design on the video but if you want a patten I can post the general dimensions.

Let me know.

I'd love to see a printable pattern on that. As a cigar guy and leathercrafter, it would be awesome. I think in my case I may glue in some spanish cedar sheets though for help in humidification.

Thanks,

Riley

aka LeatherBodhi