DeerWrangler

Leather Sewing Machine

I have been making custom knives for awhile and now want to start making sheaths for those knives.

SOO going under the assumption that i will be using 6-8 OZ leather and that on the sharp side of the blade the sheath will have 3 thicknesses. The front and back of the sheath with a spacer in the middle. Total thickness of around .450"

I am looking for a fairly good basic sewing machine that will be up to the task. Doesnt need a bunch of bells and whistes just a good " will do the job" machine.

What would you suggest and why that one. But does anyone know of a good starter machine for sale?? NO i will not go deep into this as a money making job as i am doing this as a way to keep me out of the house and under foot now that i am retired... TOO much time on my hands so this is a keep busy project.

I ran across an old Singer that was said to be a model 3120 that was in great working order but i dont know what, if anything it is capable of doing, in regards to leather sewing

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

With a thickness approaching 1/2 inch, a big stitcher like a 441 or clone is what you will be looking for. Contact Steve at Leather Machine Company or Bob at toledo to see what they have used. If you buy a used machine from them, it will come in very good condition and adjustment. You would only need the 9" arm machine, but the 16.5" arm is nice for large items.

Art

Check Craigslist in your area, I seem to run across REAL industrial machines every once in a while for cheap (for instance, there's a machine worth checking out in Grangerland (Houston CL) for $400). DON'T fall for the so-called industrials with 1/2" leather - if they don't have to be placed in a table with a heavy duty motor mounted underneath, it's NOT going to do what you need.

Inquire at an upholstery shop where they get their machines serviced; industrial machine servicers usually have some used machines that you could get on the cheap.

You're in Texas, so I'm pretty sure you've got saddle and boot makers a-plenty. They're also a good resource for used machines and information in general.