Sign in to follow this  
Red Cent

Press - Shop, Clicker

What is the difference between a 20 ton shop press and a "clicker" press?

Edited by Red Cent

A shop press is just a hydraulic jack in a stand and it is used to press bearings and races, as well as anything else you want to press together, and clicker press is specifically designed to work as a die cutter.

So with a shop press, you have to jack the handle to move the press a little at a time, and a clicker press will either be pneumatically operated or have a long handle that raises/lowers the press in one motion.

Edited by Colt W Knight

I think the difference is around $2000.00 give or take. :rofl:

They both do sort of the same thing in that they really just push stuff together.

The clicker is meant to spread that pushing force out over a relatively large area, and between two flat plates. It's also designed to cycle quickly by one means or another, since it's reason for being is to speed up production. Usually done by some powered mechanical means.

The shop press is really meant to concentrate its force in a small area, such as a bearing race in its seat. Because it's more for one small job at a time rather than production it doesn't need to be so fast. Usually they have a hydraulic jack mechanism that might take many pumps on the handle to make a full stroke. It shouldn't be too difficult to modify a press with flat plates of one type or another to make something functionally the same as a clicker ... If somewhat slower ... It will still be faster than cutting stuff out by hand, and with more consistent results.

At least that't the way I look at things ... I could be wrong.

Bill

Red --

The "named" clicker press is generally powered, some pneumatic and some hydraulic, has a platen intended and built for larger work area.

The "shop" press - what we call that anyway - is generally hydraulic [because it's] intended to press considerable force very slowly.Bearings, bushings, piston sleeves, where the 'fit' is often even money or even interference fit.

As you see from lookin' around LW, the shop press can be adapted to do the work of the [so-called] clicker, generally for considerably less money. Production boys be silly not to go with the clicker for the speed, but for 1-of or even 20-of, the cheaper route might be fine.

Just wanted to make sure. While I can appreciate the efficiency of a $5000.00 (that's on the cheap side) clicker press, a 20 ton shop press with pneumatic operation added is good enough.

Be aware that the pressing pressure and process of the clicker is uniform over the whole surface.

With the shop press you will get uneven pressure/distance pushing downward. The results are, your die will get buried into the cutting board on one side and on the other side it will not have gone through the leather yet. Results will be an uneven cut and the need to pry your die out of the cutting board.

It will probably be fine for small items like rosettes, key fobs, items under less than 4 square inches but for holster dies you may run into troubles.

JMHO, I have used both, but at this time I only own a press (used to mold holsters, no cutting).