reddevil76

Artisan 20" Splitter

Hi guys, I would like to know if anyone has bought the above or has Artisan folded?

I have been sending emails to the company regarding this splitter (head only) since last Oct and no reply at all.

Maybe the moment I mention shipping to Singapore and they got turn off. But I have bought all sorts of things including 22 sides in one single shipment, so I don't think large heavy items is a problem. They just have to quote me and I agree to pay for it. In fact, I have a forwarder here who can arrange for shipping too.

I looked into one a few years ago but it had to come by sea which put me off and I didn't really have the room for it so went with the smaller Weaver. From what I can remember, don't have the email anymore with the quote (computer died) the shipping was about $500 USD (3 years ago) to the Fremantle port and I would have to pick it up from there. I also asked about the head only and they didn't seem to keen on it.

Although it's listed at 20 inch it can't actually split that wide the maximum is about 17 3/4 due to way the blade sits there was a thread here that mentioned it I think from 2009 or 2010. If I was looking at a bigger splitter now I'd probably look at the 14 inch Cobra their service also seems a lot more helpful but if you definitely need something bigger I would get in touch with sieck.de (they have an English site). They don't look to have anything at the moment but have had bigger ones in the past they looked like a cross between a Landis and the Cobra can't remember the manufacturer but I know they were made in Germany.

Clair

I just purchased an Artisan LS-1020 splitter in early January 2013. They shipped to me immediately and I had the splitter in three work days up and running. The statement above indicating the "...maximum is about 17 3/4 due to way the blade sits there..." is incorrect. The machine will, in fact, split a 20" wide piece of leather as I have done it. The blade is a little wider than 20". The feed weight lever (don't know any ofther name for it) goes down on top of the leather and does not limit the width of the leather being split. The machine works very well and is much more accurate than I figured it would be. I've probably already split 50-60 square feet of leather with it.

This is the thread that mentioned 17 3/4 inch http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3471&hl=%2Bartisan+%2Bsplitter it was actually from 2008 so perhaps Artisan has modified it since then. That's great you got it in three days you must be in the US unfortunately though us overseas members don't have the shipping options you guys have in the US.

Presume this is the statement you are referring to: "I have been using the Artisan 20" splitter I picked up this spring. The blade might be 20" but there is a guide bar in front of the blade that restricts the largest piece at 17&3/4"."

I had read this post before I ordered the splitter and when I spoke with Jerry at Artisan I asked him about it. He explained that you lift up the guide bar and place the leather beneath it. I could easily see how someone could mistake the guide bar as a feeding chute for the maximum leather width as many older machines are thus constructed.

I'm located in Indiana, USA, but still the shipping was very swift. I've ordered small items from California that took much longer. If there is a way for you to get the machine shipped to you I believe you would like it. I am very impressed. I am presently trying to figure out how to strop the blade as Jerry recommended. I have a post asking for help but no replies. I may call Jerry and ask him for a method. The blade is so big that it may be difficult. I'm considering some sort of jig to help with the process. I have several types of strops, big and small.

I tried once, unsuccessfully I guess so I'll try once more:

To strop splitter blades I use this approach:

I make a strop for the blade by taking plywood, lathe, something as rigid as will go through the machine when everything is opened wide. A piece of tight grained harness leather then is glued solidly flesh side up to the board which needs to be long enough to hold each end firmly and accomplish the length of stropping stroke desired. Apply the buffing compound of choice (I have one each for green, white and red). To use, the blade surface becomes the guide or jig. Hold the strop flat (so as not to round and dull the edge) and firmly against the surface and stroke in one direction only. Lift the strop off the surface of the blade at the end of the stroke and return it to the point of beginning. Set it against the blade surface and stroke again, and again until you're satisfied. If you rub the compound all over the flat surface of the blade and evenly off of the strop, you are doing it right. Strop both surfaces. Don't forget to clean the compound off of the surfaces that touch the leather.

Edited by oltoot

I make a strop for the blade by taking plywood, lathe, something as rigid as will go through the machine when everything is opened wide. A piece of tight grained harness leather then is glued solidly flesh side up to the board which needs to be long enough to hold each end firmly and accomplish the length of stropping stroke desired.

I've made several strop boards with leather glued on, etc., so I'm acquainted with the technique. The 20" blade must be stropped on both sides so passing a strop through the machine is not an option. I appreciate the information.