countyholster

My Mentor, A Wealth Of Knowledge.

In my last Leather History post, I talked about Orvo (Arvo from Norway - or Finland?) Ojala - the fellow who worked leather for hollywood quick draw and coach to the western gunfighters in movies. Well his old shooting buddy is my mentor - Dave Shelgren. Dave is nearing 90 now and takes great pleasure in spending time teaching me more and more. Dave used to do all manner of leather work for all kinds of folks, from John Wayne to Jerry Lewis and hundreds more. Some of John Bianchi's designs are derived from Dave. He's had a hand in many present day holster designs and does some incredible work. Dave sold his business to Bret at Circle KB in Salmon Idaho some years back.

As most of us in leather work, we take odd jobs to keep the leather habit in full swing. Dave, with a very interesting history, at one time was the go-to dog food guy for Joe Bonanno at his compound near Tucson. Bonanno (spelling?) would buy 1/2 ton of Purina at a time, and Dave would deliver to the double fenced property. He tells me the dogs would roam the in between fences area ready to catch an intruder. As he delivered the puppy chow, the goons would have Dave frisked. He'd tell me he could drop 3-4 of them before they even got near their hardware. Just like a prison, those guys who play rough, usually end up in a cage of some sort. As I have more interesting tidbits, I'll pass them on. I'll tell you how he helped the developing Monsanto while a farmer. Lots of history from this fellow.

post-50348-0-41029600-1396269273_thumb.j

Nice post about Dave, my mentor too, I am Brett Park at Circlek KB. I spent several weeks apprenticing with Dave, never tiring of his stories. I still use his Campbell Bosworth and have all of his original tools and patterns. I talk to him every now and then. I will never foget to lace my gun belts "Good and Tight" because of Dave. I was lucky to learn from him too.

Gun belts and Holsters on the Bench

oops. i am not the best on a keyboard, My family business is Circle KB Holsters. thanks, Brett Park www.circlekb.com ph: 208-756-1873

Good stuff. It'd be great to apprentice under an old timer. We just don't do it that way much anymore.