Regis

Ostrich & Crocodile hides

I'm going this afternoon to buy some ostrich & crocodile hides. This person apparently bought a large lot of hides including cow(veg & upholstery) plus ostrich & croc. Having never purchased these before, I was hoping someone would give me some tips on selecting. Or, at least what to look for and not buy. The ostrich are smaller 1 foot pieces and I hope would work good for inlays and overlays. He stressed that the Croc's have tails....whatever importance that is?

Appreciate any tips.

Regis

Edited by Regis

About the ostrich:

I'm not surprised the pieces are small. My parents used to raise ostrich (they are MEAN birds, but very tasty...) and we had one of the hides tanned. It was not done by someone experienced with ostrich hide, and came back with alot of holes and variety in thickness. When you see the pieces this person has for you, that is something to be aware of. Ostrich is supposedly one of the more difficult hides to tan. There are also differences in the hide, like a cowhide, depending on where the leather is from (neck, body, legs).

go for it, we can always make something out of them. i'm ready to do some sewing.............

next time you are in Memphis we will set up for production........... :gathering::Lighten:

About the ostrich:

There are also differences in the hide, like a cowhide, depending on where the leather is from (neck, body, legs).

There is also the kneecap, which also has a different characteristic pattern than the other parts. Incidentally, the legs themselves have a very dinosaurian scale pattern which makes them very suitable for sheaths.

When I buy legs, I always request that the kneecap be included, if at all possible.

russ

Tail leather is additional "footage". It also can help some people distinguish the real thing from embossed cow, or other large lizardy beasts. The "hornback" side is very distinct, but the belly is a little harder to tell from other 'tiles, if the 'dile/'gator is small. Sometimes camians are not distinguished from these other creatures by sellers.

I'm envious! I've wanted a 'dile skin to play with for ages!

The crocs having tails would probably indicate that they're legal. that's where they put the little fish and wildlife tag. Sounds like you might have a good deal there.... Croc is expensive!

Kevin

The original post was a year ago and I did buy all the croc & ostrich that he had. Croc's were about 10 peices most with metal tags and about 15"-18" long and (tapered). The ostrich were irregular sizes in brown and black about 1 foot each. Also picked up a few peices of kangaroo. Yesterday I ordered a small (5 foot) kangaroo hide that cost as everything I bought last year.