Elton Joorisity

My latest saddle...number four for me.

I finished this saddle about 4 days ago. It's a 16" wade built on a Bill Bean tree. Let me know what you don't like.IMG_1186.JPG

post-3534-1237177323_thumb.jpg

I finished this saddle about 4 days ago. It's a 16" wade built on a Bill Bean tree. Let me know what you don't like.IMG_1186.JPG

prefer found skirts but other than that I like it you did a great job, Where did you learn?

It looks pretty nice Elton, congratulations on your winning the best in the show.... :You_Rock_Emoticon::banana::clapping::notworthy::thumbsup:

I like those things somebody made for us to paste in here, they're just too cool... I don't to say much more about that....

Elton's saddle is nice.....

S8001495.JPG

post-5571-1237179399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob

nice work, just wondering who's bill been

Bill Bean is a tree maker and rancher from Pearl Idaho. He is a brother of saddlemaker Rick Bean. Greg

thanks greg

Very nice work Elton, and congrats. I like that border you came up with also. JW

Elton,

Great looking saddle for number 4. By the way what show was that displayed at. I also liked to buckstitch on the front. One thing I would change is using a different Dee on the the front, since you are using J Watt hardware everywhere else I would use his 1 inch dees up there as well.

Ash

Well you asked so here it is, I don't like the fact that I can't do beautiful work like that :rofl:

Whats not to like? Very nice. I especially like the border you're using. Looks like the same one on your laptop case which I really liked. Also the buckstich adds a nice touch. I'd like to try that combination of roughout w/smooth insert seat. Nice job Elton.

I meant to ask...was it this saddle you won with? You said you only finished this 4 days ago. If not what piece did you have entered? And can we see it?

Thanks everyone.

Dually, yes this is the saddle that I won Kamloops with. I had finished it the night before we left for the show.

Elton,

congradulations and exalent job on the saddle!!!!!! I always liked the old style square skirts. You got some pretty good lines runing there. The buck stitch on the fork cover is kinda atracting and ties in nice with the inlay seat...... All the way around i like you rig and hope i can be doing this good on my #4.

If you dont mind, could you please tell me the specific demintions of your tree, primarly on the horn and cantle. How long did you have to wait for it and what is Bills going price? Also, can you direct me to somewhere on the forum here where somones already posted Mr. Bean's contact info.

Thanks a bunch!

Jed

Edited by flathat4life

Really nicely done Elton!!!

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Art

Nice job Elton!

I very much like the overall continuity of the design and theme of your saddle. Your attention to detail from the pictures shows that "you get it". The only things that I would do different, (mind you each of us is different) is that 1) I personally do not like stirrup leathers over the fenders, pinch your leg in there once and you will know why. and 2) I would suggest that you incorporate your front "d"s into the plate rigging down below the front jockeys. They will be much stronger there, and do not stitch across them. The stitches and lacing holes effectively cut down on the cross sectional strength. Attached are a couple of pics on how I do it.

All together a very nice saddle, very professional, some one will be proud to ride it and that's what you are looking for.

Happy Trails!

Bondo Bob

008a.jpg

Bob_s_Saddle__Pictures_017.jpg

post-8161-1237650835_thumb.jpg

post-8161-1237650870_thumb.jpg

Howdy BondoBob..........not Elton here but, I am going to disagree a little bit with a couple of your suggestions. The outside stirrup leather / half double arrangement is very common on cowboy rigs, and does not pinch at all if done correctly. I have ridden them for many years, and I build a high % of them. Secondly, on the breast collar / martingale Ds........there are up high under the front buttons for a purpose........that is where they need to be. If a person is using a steer tripping type collar, then the lower position would be fine. There is no strength problem with the higher placement, as I am sure that Elton has the strings running through them, and/or has them screwed down to the tree.

Everyone sure does things differently, just my take on it.

Respectfully, JW

Bob, if I put my dees that low, it wouldn't work with a Martingale/ choker style breast collar and that's why they are where they are!!!

Howdy BondoBob..........not Elton here but, I am going to disagree a little bit with a couple of your suggestions. The outside stirrup leather / half double arrangement is very common on cowboy rigs, and does not pinch at all if done correctly. I have ridden them for many years, and I build a high % of them. Secondly, on the breast collar / martingale Ds........there are up high under the front buttons for a purpose........that is where they need to be. If a person is using a steer tripping type collar, then the lower position would be fine. There is no strength problem with the higher placement, as I am sure that Elton has the strings running through them, and/or has them screwed down to the tree.

Everyone sure does things differently, just my take on it.

Respectfully, JW

Howdy Bob;

first off what I am about to say is "what works for me", I have in the past reccomended to Elton that he does not sew or rivet his Martingale dees to the rigs, my reason for this is that this is a spot on a saddle that I don't want to strong, the way Elton has attached the Mart Dees will be strong enough to hold up to hard use cowboying, but if a bad wreck happens Like someone screws up and drops the cinchs before the breast collar is undone, the mart dees will tear out instead of the whole saddle getting destroyed under the horse, then only a small repair is needed as you just have to replace the mart Dee tab not potentially the whole rigging.

I feel there are some things in horse gear that need to be made so that they have a weak spot to save the saddle, the horse or the rider in a wreck, things like mart Dees, rope straps, (they should be strong enough to be used somewhat as a nightlatch but they will break if your rope gets hung up as your loping through the brush), the front strap on chaps,( so if you get hung up over the horn the strap will break), and on of the most common "to strong" things I see in horse gear is bridles made of way to thick of leather, for the sake of your horses mouth make a bridle that will bust under stress, nylon bridles should be outlawed, I would rather have an easy bridle repair than have damage to my horses mouth that I have spent years trying to make soft.

My two cents.

i echo Steves comment about certain items in saddlery need to have a weak link. My main bug is nylon headcollars/halters. You would be hard pressed to find a decent leather one these days in Aust. it is easy to go into joe blow's feedstore and get an elcheapo nylon one but that poor horse will beat itself to death with stress and fear before the nylon gives way.

Barra

P.S. How remiss of me. Great job Elton

Edited by barra

To all the replies, as I have said many times in other replies, "custom" means it is made to order and is made the way the customer wants it. If he is a martingale user, then so be it, and so on. If he likes the old timey look, so be it. Elton, once again, very nice job! Keep up the good work.

Bondo Bob

Elton,

Congratulations on the win. Really good one, amigo. I echo the border, I've liked that one for a while. I am eyeballing your saddle pretty closely here, the next three orders are all pointed skirts and exposed leathers. I recently saw one with the martingale dees coming off like yours and the rope strap coming off the top back corner of the carrier too. It looked pretty cool and took away that little lump and gapping you get when you screw them in under the front jockey. I'm trying that out.

Bruce,

I saw that one as well... I really like the carrier idea for the mart dees and rope strap versus the lumps. The rope strap lumps have always been something that stood out like a sore thumb aesthetically on Wades to me. I do realize that almost everyone does it that way but it still stood out as a sore thumb.

Steve and Barra's comments about nylon, chaps and weak links have been drilled into me by my Dad and several of the cowhands that we rode with (over and over and over again...time after time....anyhow you get the idea. These were their pet peeves).

I look forward to seeing more of them and seeing how they perform/hold up.

Regards,

Ben