DianeWood

Antique And Resistant Help Please?

I need help with a few steps please. I'm making a leather bronc halter noseband and I'm tracing a name on it with a stylus then I use a swivel knife and then beveler. I need help with antiquing in the cracks of the name and my stamped border because i want them to look somewhat darker but i dont want my whole noseband to change color just the name and stamped border but i also want to use acrylic paint on the name. I'm not sure on how to do that on which goes on first next and last because i dont want to mess up any acrylic paint or antique or the color of the leather.

Thanks, Diane

Hi Diane;

Is this the result you are looking for?

bottle holder.JPG

post-19342-0-19376700-1395067848_thumb.j

Yes that's it, I wanted my stamped border and the creases of my letters to be dark and have acrylic paint over the letters but I just didn't know what to put on first because I don't want my whole piece to change in color.

I used neatsfoot oil on that and let it sit for a couple of days.

Put the dye on heavy and make sure it fills the impressions, wipe off the excess with a damp sponge then a clean paper towel before it dries.

Let it dry then put on a thin coat of tan kote then let that dry.

Paint the letters, a few times and then seal with resolene or super shene.

It's better if you can spray the finishes on, you won't get streaking.

Ok thank you so much. Did you use the neatsfoot oil on the whole thing or just the areas you didnt want the dye to be?

I used neatsfoot on the entire piece (in moderation).

What kind of dye did you use on that? I have fiebings walnut leather stain that im planning on useing.

Eco-Flo Gel Antique Saddle Tan.

Your walnut is probably darker but don't panic if it's looks too dark some of it will come off when you wipe on the tan kote.

Just don't let the dye sit on the leather too long before you wipe it off, you can always reapply if you want it darker.