Sign in to follow this  
bergjes

How To Figure Out 2 Tone Patterns?

Hi,

can somebody help me figuring out to understand how to create different patterns with round braiding.

Are there some clear instructions How To do?

I want to know if it is possible to create:

• Spiral
  • Chevron
  • Zig-Zag
  • ???

patterns with round braiding 6, 8 and 10 strands.

Thanks,

Erik

Hi,

can somebody help me figuring out to understand how to create different patterns with round braiding.

• Spiral
  • Chevron
  • Zig-Zag
  • ???

Thanks,

Erik

Sir, the best book I have found on the subject of fancy plaits is by Bruce Grant. Google him and u should be able to find out all you need to know.

Thanks Blackhammer.

I already have the Encyclopedia Of Rawhide And Leather Braiding, is that the book you are referring to?

Because it is full of many techniques, but I can't find anything on different patterns round braiding.

Perhaps it's because I'm a beginner or perhaps it's because English is not my first language, but can you point me to some pages where to find it?

Many Thanks,

Erik

Thanks Blackhammer.

I already have the Encyclopedia Of Rawhide And Leather Braiding, is that the book you are referring to?

Because it is full of many techniques, but I can't find anything on different patterns round braiding.

Perhaps it's because I'm a beginner or perhaps it's because English is not my first language, but can you point me to some pages where to find it?

Many Thanks,

Erik

Thanks Blackhammer.

Many Thanks,

Erik

I have to beg your forgiveness. I meant to say Ron Edwards. He was a well known Australian whip maker who wrote several books on the topic. His whipmaking book has an entire section devoted to fancy plaits. Again, my apologies. As an aside, Grants books can be a bit difficult for those of us who have English as our first language. I recommend you keep at it. Have a good day.

Thanks Blackhammer.

I will look for a book from Ron Edwards.

Do you have a specific title wich I should look for, because there are so many books from him?

Gr,

Erik

Pm me with your name and address and I will photocopy a coupld of pages from Ron Edward's book on patterns. I will also include titles and such. These are very easy to follow instructions and well written. Unfortunately I can only send you enough to whet your appetite and then you will want to buy the book.

I like the Plaits Round & Flat by Ron Edwards myself. That would be a matter of preference though. I have a link to their website. The Ram Skull Press located here,

The Ram Skull Press

There you'll find all of Ron Edwards books. You can order on their international ordering page, which is where that link will take you by default.

Brian...

Hi,

• Spiral
  • Chevron
  • Zig-Zag
  • ???

Thanks,

Erik

Gday Erik try this site, he has some downloads that will help you out http://www.deadringer.com.au/

the more strings you have the more you can design in your pattern , once you get used to making your pattern and then writing down the passes the hardest part is try-n to keep track on where you are up to , i get the Boss to help me with this !!!!!

Cheers

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

Edited by Bevan

You can create patterns in braiding using digital work...

Braid yourself a foot or so of each braid style you can

Round braid

chevron

gaucho

etc

Then take a program like photoshop,

Remove all the colour from each braid and create linked paths with each relevant part of the braid, for example, every fifth colour on left wil be the same colour, do this for all ten parts.

Create a multitude of colours in each path and link them all.

Then to create patterns just insert chosen colours and play around with it,

I have done this with upto 10 strands so far, it takes a long time to create but it is a cheap way to experiment.

One more tip, create ten strands loose on top to represent starting line up and link these to the paths further down the braid...

You can create patterns in braiding using digital work...

Braid yourself a foot or so of each braid style you can

Round braid

chevron

gaucho

etc

Then take a program like photoshop,

Remove all the colour from each braid and create linked paths with each relevant part of the braid, for example, every fifth colour on left wil be the same colour, do this for all ten parts.

Create a multitude of colours in each path and link them all.

Then to create patterns just insert chosen colours and play around with it,

I have done this with upto 10 strands so far, it takes a long time to create but it is a cheap way to experiment.

One more tip, create ten strands loose on top to represent starting line up and link these to the paths further down the braid...

Thanks.

I don´t quit understand yet, but I will look into it.

You say it´s a lot of work to create in photoshop, so is it to much to ask if you could send me an example of the 6 strand round braid,

so I can try to figure out the rest for myself?

Regards,

Erik

Gday Erik try this site, he has some downloads that will help you out http://www.deadringer.com.au/

the more strings you have the more you can design in your pattern , once you get used to making your pattern and then writing down the passes the hardest part is try-n to keep track on where you are up to , i get the Boss to help me with this !!!!!

Cheers

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

Hi Bevan.

Thanks, I found the website, but the only downloads I can find are 16 plait patterns.

That is way to complicated for me. I just started braiding and I´m trying to figure out how patterns work.

I think I have to start with 6, 8 strands and perhaps later move on to more strands.

Thanks anyway.

Erik

Hi Bevan.

Thanks, I found the website, but the only downloads I can find are 16 plait patterns.

That is way to complicated for me. I just started braiding and I´m trying to figure out how patterns work.

I think I have to start with 6, 8 strands and perhaps later move on to more strands.

Thanks anyway.

Erik

Gdy mate ,

i am glad you found the site , i know they are in 16 plait !!!! but if you look at the rule its all the same !!!! 8 one side 8 the other ,, that is 16 plait ,, if you draw the squares and have 4 each side then you have 8 plait ,,, 6 each side you will have a 12 plait , but if you draw it up and colour the squares how you want them you should be ably to make what ever pattern you want , !!!!!if you want to have a go at a 12 plait i have send you a very nice pattern ,,, but it is only two more than what ya want mate ,,, you can do it !!!PM me if you need the passes

Cheers

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

diamond pattern.pdf

diamond pattern.pdf

Edited by Bevan

I can't right now find my master page, and I am too busy to be honest this week to redo it, but if I have time I will do a small demo...