TheBlotterOfInks24

New To Leatherworking, No Idea How To Start

Hey!

I'm new to this whole leather working idea and just wanted an idea on where in Northern Virginia (warrenton/gainesville/manassas area) i would be able to buy or order supplies to get started on a tight budget and where I might be able to learn some basics/beginnings on creating things. I want to eventually be able to create a satchel or laptop bag and maybe some pen slips or cases for my belongings

Looks like the closest Tandy to you is in Herinco VA looks like around 90 miles or so. They have some classes. You started out right by ending up here. Welcome to the forums. You will find patterns on these forums for the things you mentioned you want to make. Ones you decide on a first project we can help you out with a list of what you will need to get started. It is best to start with what you need for a first project then build from there as you identify your needs.

For buying supplies and leather, Tandy is a likely if not exactly cheap choice. I just recently got started as well and noticed early on that anything marketed for leather craft will carry a premium price. The same thing marketed for a different segment may cost much less.

Some basic supplies like needles, thread, and small leather pieces will be available from general craft stores like Michaels. For many tools, you don't need a "leather" version to get started. Any utility knife will cut leather, you don't really need the $90 rounded edge version at first. A cheap mat cutter cuts perfectly nice, straight pieces of leather, I found. Many tools are optional or simply a convenience. Make your own tool combos if you can. I use a cheap metal locking clamp and two pieces of wood blocks with felt to hold small pieces of leather when stitching small pieces - no need for the $80 stitching pony yet. For large pieces, my knees come in really handy until I get a cramp, haha. Cheap tool stores like Harbor Freight (there's one in Arlington) have specialty knifes, arbor presses, and things like that.

Youtube is vital resource for me. Leather craft gods like Ian Atkins and others happily share their skills in instructional videos - their quite addictive.

I did buy one book for figuring out out how to construct bags and specifically gussets (Leatherworking Handbook: A Practical Illustrated Sourcebook of Techniques and Projects, $16 on amazon.com)

For buying larger pieces of leather relatively cheap, I've used Maverick Leather (http://www.maverickleathercompany.com/). They often have nice bargains on leather, including the famous Horween stuff. Just work around or embrace the flaws (character!) that often come with second run leathers.

Having some basic skills in a vector drawing is handy for making your own, precise patterns. I make patterns that have the stitching holes placed and spaced precisely where I want them for repeatable stitching. It takes a little longer to mark the stitching holes but is more predictable for me than using the little wheel tool for marking stich locations.

Get your hands on some leather and experiment - enjoy!

The above true to an extent, but like any trade/craft, tools disigned for leather work typically perform better than standard tools . The "$90 rounded edge version" is called a Head Knife or a Round Knife (depending on the sweep of the blade), and is one of the more indespensable tools. It is far more versatile than a standard utility knife, but there is a learning curve....no pun intended. Once you learn how to use one you'll see the difference. It's used for cutting straight lines, cutting curves, skiving, matching edges, et. al. The utitliy of the head knife comes from having more cutting edge in the leather than a straight blade, and being able to vary how much blade is in the leather. Does this mean you have to get 'leather working tools'? No. As mentioned above, many standard tools can be used....just be aware of the limitations. Another good example of this is an awl - a round point 'scratch awl' is not suitable for leather working. It will make holes, but not the type you should use. You'll do far better with a "diamond awl" which refers to the cross sectional shape of the blade. Not to knock harbor freight, but don't go to them for leather punches. The ones they sell are poor quality and require a lot of work to make useable - such as stoning an even edge, then reprofiling the shoulder so that it can get though the leather. Look at other craft supply stores, too.....I get waxed linen cord for sewing at Hobby Lobby (they also sell a 'basic 7' set of tools).

You can also make your own tools (many of us do) from bolts, rods, flat stock metal, kitchen flat ware, pieces of wood left over from other projects.... You'll need some hand tools and sanding/polishing ability, but most basic tools are pretty easy to make.

THIS SITE is probably the best tool you can get while starting out. It is the single largest compendium of leather knowledge on the planet, and the majority of the members are happy to help you learn.

There is currently a "monthly challenge" thread going on, in which we use a prepared pattern (shapes, cut lines, and instructions) to build something. This month, it's a wallet...next month is still undecided. These 'challenges' are open to everyone, from beginner to advanced and may be a great opportunity to learn things like basic design layout, tolerances, and construction methods

What you have asked is a common enough question for newcomers to this craft. Here are a few ideas based on my learning experience

The problem when you start is that there are a lot of unfamiliar techniques, terms, and jargon, and it can all be a bit confusing and overwhelming. You seem to need a lot of tools, many of them expensive, all at once.

By reading around the subject you will gain a lot of instant experience, and start to understand what you really need; what you can make or improvise yourself, and where you can manage with a cheaper alternative, at least to start with

Try to contain your enthusiasm; there is a temptation to want to do everything at once, but get the simple, basic stuff right first, both tools & techniques. You will always use them, and can build up from there

You can learn a lot from a humble key fob - pattern making & marking out, cutting out, stitch marking, edge bevelling, using an awl, skiving, sewing. And that's before you consider tooling, staining, & dyeing.

Any decent leathercraft book will outline tools, techniques, and have a few simple projects. There are recommendations on this forum, or try your library

There's a lot of information in this forum. Work your way through the past threads and different sections, That should cover just about any problem you've heard of, and has a lot of suggestions for beginners.

Similarly put 'leatherwork' into the search box of YouTube, there are loads of clips, especially on choice of tools and simple projects for beginners. I find those by Ian Atkinson, aka Leodis Leather, and Nigel Armitage, aka Armitage Leather particularly good. But they're all worth watching; you'll learn a bit each time, and get used to jargon and the methods, and see slight variations and different approaches.

Be prepared to make mistakes, both in the work you do, and buying tools you find you don't really need - it's all part of the fun!

I have gained much knowledge of leather-work in reading the forums here and on you-tube. Now can I translate some of that knowledge to my first projects, better yet how likely am I going to be able to translate some of my stuff into cash to pay off Sally Mae and other bills.