Jeff the Viking

Small Useful Things

Hi folks,

As one of the newbies, I was curious: I've read a lot of the advice for new people, which tools to buy and so forth, but what of the less obvious things. The stuff that isn't technically "leatherworking tools" but is darned handy to have around a leatherworking workshop :)

So I ask of you, what are the little things that you use all the time to make your lives easier or to get a cleaner result. Figured the sharing might even give experianced folks new ideas :)

(As an example, from other crafts, I've seen muffin tins used as casting molds for metal ingots, kitchen scales used as an easier and more accurate measure for mixing A+B style resins, crumpled tin foil as rust removal, etc)

You've been a wealth of information so far. Looking forward to perusing the galleries for inspiration

Let's see if I can remember a couple of my tricks.

Large metal washers are great templates for cutting rounded courners.

Binder clips are the best for holding gussets together while glue waits to dry.

A nice straight flat metal L bar is a nice trick for cutting a straight edge on a side. You can use it with an edge up for a safe handle, or clamped over the edge of your bench.

Needle nose pliers are a god send for stuck sewing needles.

Perhaps not a tool, but I often make patterns or prototypes from thin card. You can trim and fiddle to your heart's content, or scrap it and start again. It helps to see what the finished article will look like; any potential snags; and to estimate how much material I'll need

Cereal packets are good for this. Logically enough I use the plain inside as the flesh or inside of the leather, and the printed outside of the packet as the grain or outside of the leather.

If you use a completely plain piece of card make sure you keep a check of which side is which or you might end up with a reverse or mirror image for your final piece

Side cutters, end nippers, needle nose pliers, regular pliers, vise grips, assorted screwdrivers, just basic regular tools. Use them all nearly every day. Of course it will depend on what type of work you're doing.

Velcro strapping is one of the odd things I've got in the 'tool box'. It's adjustable in both length and will hold just about any reasonable pressure. Best of all, there are no mechanical parts that leave indentations or stains. Also: plastic folders for patterns, belt sander, drill press, an assortment of wood shapes, speed clamps, stainless steel drafting tools- triangles, compasses, rulers; multiple "corners" - anything from washers to paint can lids to get repeatable radii.