George B

Was Told To Specialize For Holster Review, Need Advice

Hi again All,

First let me say, "thank you, to all the members who have given me and others info and advice". Nobody pays you to do it and it takes time.

I have a local gun reviewer with a popular online site I visited for awhile yesterday afternoon. He looked over the holsters and belts I had made for a local gun store, that need to be delivered this week.

He asked me what I specialized in. So far it has been a mix, western, high ride, sporting and hunting, so I could not give him an answer.

My question is this...He wants a holster and belt to review that will show what I would specialize in, what would be the one that compensates me the best for my efforts?

I enjoy carving and western the most, but is there enough market out there to keep me busy and profitable?

He stated that the last custom holster and belt maker he reviewed has since hired an additional seven people to keep up with orders, and this is from Alaska.

I started out building saddles, have been doing holsters and belts about 3 months to pay the bills since saddles have dropped off locally.

I'm looking to get rich, not in ,my line of work, but I do want to be successful and pay the bills.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. George

What about specializing in tooled/carved concealed carry rigs?Perhaps you could offer up a basic line of holsters to pay the bills, but really push and emphasize your floral tooling on your website by showing that stuff the most. I had a customer email me a few weeks ago saying he'd just spent over $500 for a tooled belt, holster and cuff carrier (he was trying to get me to start making belts).... Think about all those people that spend thousands on their 1911's... Those are the people I'd go after if I were in your shoes.

I agree with specializing on Western style carved holsters, not sure I agree about concealment type, only because it always seems a waste to me to have an embellished holster hidden.There are also hundreds of concealment holster makers in the $50-$200 range.Put your best effort in and go with high end holsters.You may not get the quantity, but the rewards are higher.I specialize in highend inlaid and laced OWB holsters and belts.I never get huge numbers of customers for these but the ones I do get are usually well to do and buy multiple items.Dave

Sorry - when I said "concealed carry" rigs, I was referring to all types of carry for self-protection, to include concealed carry and open carry, etc.

Sounds like you answered your own question. Do what YOU love to do. In the end it doesn't matter how much you get paid, if you aren't happy it isn't enough. Don't take a fun job, and turn it into work.

I don't do holsters, but there are a lot of members in the SASS, and a big segment of them are women. You may want to cater to them. Belts that are are actually made for their shape, and tooling that they like. Unlike a lot of guys, women tend to really get into the accessories .

In the end though I would say to not paint yourself into a corner, by specializing too much. The only thing I would specialize in would be quality items.

Thank you all for your advice. I will specialize, for the review only, in western and wild bunch shooting holsters, belts and accessories, because in the end it is what I enjoy doing and fits right in with saddles.

I ordered my dummy guns from blueguns at Rings, boy are they nice people to deal with. Also called Ruger about actual guns that they used to sell for holster makers, unfortunately they no longer do that, but once again they were just great to deal with. Duncans Outdoor, never did return my call, probably too big for a little ol' business like mine.

Once again, thanks to everyone who gave me input, George

When you order your dummies from Rings, be sure to ask them to leave off the final finish coat if that was not discussed over the phone, as the finish coat will transfer to your leather. It's easy enough to remove on your own with some denatured alcohol and a tooth brush, but it makes a mess. I believe you can also request either Black or Blue for the dummies, but I always get blue in case the neighbor kids wander into my shop, grab a dummy, then go walking down the street pointing it at people... (I don't usually leave my shop unattended with the door open).

I have not had the opportunity to buy a Rings gun (direct or from a distributor) but have had great service from Duncans.

I have always called during the day (and make sure to ask for Luke). I understand he is in charge of the dummy gun/magazine inventory.

I don't make holsters, so the discussion about what sort to make is out of my field of knowledge - however, my experience suggests that if you show you can make high end products, there will always be plenty of people asking you to make 'lesser' items.

My suggestion would be to make the very best thing you can but make sure the reviewer mentions that you make other items too.

Hope it goes well for you.

Ray