Sign in to follow this  
cjeureka

I Get It...plus I Was Using The Wrong End Of Beveler

after experiencing the Cattleman's arts show and the prices tooling commanded...I just had to try...It was 2 weeks of blood seat and tears as I worked on mastering the tools...Finally a light went off..I think of the leather as a canvas that I dig into and carve away what I don't want. Think I want the biker crowd..appliques for purses. bike seats etc...my attempted scull looks like a "star struck alien ...with teeth...says my cuz...blahblahblah.gif

post-17835-043572800 1291010001_thumb.jp

my first feeble attempts...I was a wimp and afraid of cutting into the leather...I have since learned I need to cut as deep as 1/2 of total thickness...to create a path for the beveling tool to create even more depth by flattening the surrounding area of flower...etc...giving th illusion of 3-D..Its all so fascinating..

I can tell em..I am a self taught tooler...learned at age 59...after 3rd degree burns..that should inspire somebody to do something...lol

cjeureka

post-17835-065098300 1291010267_thumb.jp

I don't know what all you've looked at in the way of lessons but I am using Paul Burnetts downloadable lessons and I really love 'em so far. The free lessons are good but they are incomplete. The downloadable ones are cheap. I'm sure there are a whole host of others but this is the one I'm using for now, it will help smooth out your knife cuts alot and help you with stamping tools and everything else. I think you are off to a great start, I am only a newbie at this myself so take it with a grain of salt if you like. Go to www.paintingcow.com to see Pauls lessons. Keep up the good work! God bless you!

-jerry

I'll second what Jerry says, check out Paul Burnett's website. Sign up for his newsletter and read the past editions. There's a lot of great info in his free lessons, and even more in the ones he has for sale.

Then just keep practicing and have fun with it!