Hi to all,

I would like to do a head band for wife out of veg tan

and wondering if it would shrink to bad. I beleive that I will

use terry cloth and velcro for adjustment allready

printed out pictures to trace.

Thanks

Joe Stewart

Hey Joe,

As an avid headband wearer one of the pet projects on my backburner is something much like this.

Vegtan leather used for a headband shouldn't shrink too bad. On the contrary, it will actually shape itself to your wife's head for a more comfortable fit (consistent sweat & heat = consistent casing). The tightening feeling comes not from leather shrinking but the human body expanding when placed in a situation of greater heat (we are mostly water after all). A simple way to accommodate this is to use a lace tie to keep the headband on, or to attach the veg-tanned portion to an underlying material which can be easily tied/adjusted.

What should be more concerning is how you line it, how frequently it is sweated in, and how long it's exposed to sunlight. You mentioned using terry cloth. A chrome-tanned leather or other soft cloth like cotton should work as well - anything to keep the rough flesh side of the veg-tanned leather from leeching oils where it meets the skin. The sun and sweat means you'll regularly have to clean and condition the piece since those factors are actually baking it.

AaronR,

Man thats and old post and thanks for looking.

What I used was belt blanks, put velcro for adjustment and shave cheap spomges for a sweat band and

Locked tite-super glued them on. Made for Wifes's sisters for reunions.post-13948-007962300 1337978215_thumb.jppost-13948-011385400 1337978252_thumb.jp

Joe

Edited by Stewart