Windom Leather

Where to apply your makers mark?

Where is the best place to put your makers, On say spur straps. Is the back of the piece acceptable or should you always try and keep it on the front?

I'm glad you brought this subject up. I really hate seeing big makers marks in the middle of the item.

I go to a lot of gunshows where people are selling holsters. Even on plain holsters the big honking mark is right on the front.

I would never buy one. Leather holsters are expensive (relatively speaking). I am not going to pay a lot of money to advertise for the person selling it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. There is a nice spot on the backside of the holster where that could have gone and not distract from the holster itself. Now on smaller items like the spur straps you mention, I have no problem with a small mark on the buckle piece. On belts, up near the buckle look is a spot that is not gaudy. If fact, it might even be covered by a trophy buckle. The bottom line - I can see the need for brand recognition, and I can see that you will be proud of the item you made, but somewhere where it is a bit inconspictuous (sp?) is a good spot. Look at it this way: when you buy a nice table the maker didn't put his big gaudy mark on the table top did he? It is usually on the bottom, or it is in the drawer of furniture items. As a woodturner, the signature is always on the bottom of the bowl.

You see this in most crafts. That's my 2 cents, but at today's prices it's only worth half that much. cheers!

I think placement of the makers stamp is purely the preference of the maker. My personal opinion is that a place for the makers stamp show be included in the tooling design and not just slapped on someplace that is handy. If the makers stamp detracts from the piece than that is not desireable. On a pair of spur straps you would want to have a pretty small stamp to be able to show it on the front and not detract from the looks of the piece. If you are unable to find an appropriate place on the outside of the piece, then placing it on the back is fine. Having two or three sizes or types of stamps can be handy. Sometimes it's handy to have a Signature stamp. Hope this helps....

Bob

I'm glad you brought this subject up. I really hate seeing big makers marks in the middle of the item.

I go to a lot of gunshows where people are selling holsters. Even on plain holsters the big honking mark is right on the front.

I would never buy one. Leather holsters are expensive (relatively speaking). I am not going to pay a lot of money to advertise for the person selling it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. There is a nice spot on the backside of the holster where that could have gone and not distract from the holster itself. Now on smaller items like the spur straps you mention, I have no problem with a small mark on the buckle piece. On belts, up near the buckle look is a spot that is not gaudy. If fact, it might even be covered by a trophy buckle. The bottom line - I can see the need for brand recognition, and I can see that you will be proud of the item you made, but somewhere where it is a bit inconspictuous (sp?) is a good spot. Look at it this way: when you buy a nice table the maker didn't put his big gaudy mark on the table top did he? It is usually on the bottom, or it is in the drawer of furniture items. As a woodturner, the signature is always on the bottom of the bowl.

You see this in most crafts. That's my 2 cents, but at today's prices it's only worth half that much. cheers!

I totally agree. I would never build a motorcycle seat and place a makers mark on top. I'm pretty sure that no one would like to pay hundreds of $ to have a seat made, and tooled with their disign on it, and have it advertise someone elses buisness. It should be on the bottom IMO.

I agree with everyone here in a way. I think on some items a well placed mark that fits the tooling is fine HOWEVER I prefer not to see the mark on the outside of something. Atleast anything I would buy. I think that anyone who sees a piece of leatherwork and likes it will instinctively look for a tag "aka makers mark" on the item and usually will look inside or on the back. It all depends on the item though so go with what you think will look the best.

Good topic, and thanks for bringing it up. I've only recently purchased my first maker's mark (thanks to Jeff at Gray Ghost Graphics), but I have to agree with the general rule that has already been expressed. It's my opinion that a) the maker's mark should be very inconspicuous (sp) and B) most people will find it if they really like the item they're looking at. If someone buys something from me, and they really like the way it turned out, chances are they will look and study every inch of the piece. In their search, they will find my mark. I just recently finished a briefcase that I posted on here, and I placed my maker's mark at the bottom of the back panel. It fit in well the the Sheridan style corners and the "cross hatch" or grid type pattern on the back panel. And, sure enough, I took that briefcase to a rodeo, had several people look at it, and before they were finished they all were asking who Double u leather was. I smiled and told them that I was Double U Leather. Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. Oh, and by the way, as was mentioned earlier, since I only have one size maker's mark at this point, the smaller items I make i.e. spurs straps and such, for now have to go unbranded.

I can completely understand how an individual who spent a lot of money on an item might not want to "advertise" for the maker. I have to tell you though, that a makers mark can often times ADD value to an item. I am frequently asked "Are you going to put your name on it?". I have been asked on many occasions to place my makers mark prominently on the front of the item I was making and have also been asked to provide a silver makers plate on the front of my piece, so go figure.

While at the High Noon Auction (One of the most prestigous western memorabilia events in the world) a black tooled and dyed briefcase came up for auction. It had been manufactured by Hollywood Classics and sported a silver makers plate right in the middle of the flap and was the focus of the decorations on the piece. It was twenty some years old and sold for $3,000 or $4,000 dollars BECAUSE of the makers plate. If you think about it, would you want a Bohlin saddle with an obscure makers stamp?

So to bring this back to the point of the topic, I think a makers mark must be applied in good taste and should enhance the appearance of the piece. If you are buying, be sure to express your preferences to the maker ahead of time. It is not reasonable to order a custom piece and then reject it because the artist signed it! I know, if I am asked to omit my makes mark (and I never am), I will endeavor to assist the customer in finding another maker. I think there are two points of view to consider here.

Just thinking out loud here.....

Bob

P.S. Rookie, why not put your mark on the back of the straps?

Edited by hidepounder

I don't have a makers mark yet still working on that, but i do use a tandy stamp that says handcrafted by and then you put your name in the slot, i know cheesy, but it works for me atm, and i put my stamp on the inside flap of the purse, wallet, coin purse or what ever item im making at the time, and i've had no complaints about it there most people say ( oh cool you put your mark on it) (shrug) i say if your proud of the item you've made then put your mark on it just put it where it looks good and is fitting to the item.

maddhatter

How often would you go to an art gallery and find the artists signature on the back side ? The value of most art work is in the Maker although I agree with Bob the placement of your stamp on your work needs to be in good taste.

Just my 2cents

Richard

How often would you go to an art gallery and find the artists signature on the back side ? The value of most art work is in the Maker although I agree with Bob the placement of your stamp on your work needs to be in good taste.

Just my 2cents

Richard

I don't really consider a motorcycle seat a piece of art. It is a functional part of the motorcycle. If I did consider it art it would hang on the wall not under my ass. Either way, I still think that on a motorcycle seat it should not be placed on the top, unless a signature could be cleverly hidden in the tooling. But a big ol makers mark, IMO it should go on the bottom.

Here's some food for thought.

What vehicle do you drive?

What cell phone do you use if any?

Do you wear tennis shoes/sneakers?

Do you wear pants?

What computer do you use?

Do any or all of these have their makers mark/brand name on them? Just something to think about....

As far as advertising for the maker. I guess the ladies that carry D&B, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, Hermes, Ralph Lauren and Versace just to name a few might not agree with you on that point. They want you to know that they are carrying such and such purse and they absolutely want you to know whos purse it it.

Makers marks in good taste...is the key. Even the big names listed above generally don't overdo their marks.

Regards,

Ben

One of the first things a lot of people do when looking at a saddle is check for a maker's mark to learn who built it. (And yes, saddles out west at least are "built", not "made". Don't ask me why...) The name can definitely add to the value of the saddle.

On the other hand, I have seen a saddle so plastered with the maker's mark in every available spot it was just ugly. Actually, thinking about it, that saddle wasn't overly pretty to start with... The kicker for the customer was that they had asked to have their brand on the back of the cantle. Instead there was a 2 1/2" maker's mark with Saddle # whatever it was there. Not a happy camper. They got someone else to put a large concho over it to hide it, and the bad publicity that maker gets every time someone comments on that saddle is the reverse of his intention when he placed his marks on it.

Good places for makers stamp on saddles, is on the seat about an 1 1/2 back from the hand hole, or if you used a frog to connect the rear jockeys, is a good place. I dont like latigo carriers as they can wear out, or can be easily removed.,

When I do sheaths and holsters, I always put my mark on the beltloop.I have a small mark that I use on my knives , only 1/16" lettering.On the front like spur straps or anything else just tool a decorative border around a small area, off in a corner and apply your stamp.I see it no different than a painting as long as you can make it flow.Dave

They got someone else to put a large concho over it to hide it, and the bad publicity that maker gets every time someone comments on that saddle is the reverse of his intention when he placed his marks on it.

:rofl: ....I love that!

Bobby

Thanks everyone for your input. A lot of great views. Seriously, a 2 1/2 inch stamp? That even sounds tacky! I agree with the fact of "in good taste". Afterall we are tryin to make a good lookin piece and try and get top dollar for it and I like the fact of makin the makers mark flow within the design. I feel it might actually maybe enhance the piece.

The saddle I just finished it's right in the middle of the Cheyenne roll, belts, spur straps, little stuff, it goes on the fold over around the buckles (so it winds up on the back side) all other projects (notebook covers, etc.) it gets hidden somewhere inside unless there's no place to hide it then I use my own good judgement about where to stick it someplace tasteful

Nobearsyet- not to detract from this thread, but in May you were doing your first wallet, and now you have completed a saddle? And in another thread you are going to make a video of how to make a saddle? And in another thread you want to make boots? Pardon me, but I'm having trouble with all this. I owned a leather shop for 15 years, and I don't have the skills or the tools to make saddles and boots. There are guys here that have spent their whole lives learning the art, but you have mastered it in less than 6 months? I'm not going to bring up the debacle on the other board, but can you see why leatherworkers are not taking you seriously?

Johanna

:deadsubject::deadsubject::deadsubject: