David Genadek

How Much Do Seats Go For

I have been approached by some one that wants me to do a custom bike seat. I thought it would be fun to give one a go. This is not a market I know anything about so I am trying to get some idea what a reasonable charge would be . My guess would be between $500.00 to $600.00. Am I in the ball park?

I'm also wondering why no one uses a welted construction?

David Genadek

Edited by David Genadek

Your probably not going to get any clear answers to this mainly because there isn't one and you didn't mention what kind of seat your talking about. I've seen smaller solo seats go for 100 bucks while the same type from someone else would be 700 mine are usually somewhere in between. I would just sell it for a price you feel comfortable with and hopefully the customer will pay it. There really isn't a "retail" value on anything custom.

Good luck. And your figures are probably about right depending on what it is.

And I haven't used a welted construction but I'm sure that you could.

Saw them awhile back on some web sites, as an example SPSally's was offering seats as an option I think, for around 500, I think they are made by DT a member here. So yes I think you are in the ballpark.

David,

The price depends on the amount of work... Sucker Punch was charging $800 for my seats....which is a pretty outrageous mark up. Most of my seats sell in the $400-$500 range, but that is for a solo springer seat. If your customer wants a two up seat for a Road King, that has GOT to be a lot more. Your best bet is to add up the cost of materials and then decide what you want to make per hour.

I've heard the term welt used mostly for shoe and boot construction, so tell me how it applies to a bike seat

Thanks,

Dave

David,

The price depends on the amount of work... Sucker Punch was charging $800 for my seats....which is a pretty outrageous mark up. Most of my seats sell in the $400-$500 range, but that is for a solo springer seat. If your customer wants a two up seat for a Road King, that has GOT to be a lot more. Your best bet is to add up the cost of materials and then decide what you want to make per hour.

I've heard the term welt used mostly for shoe and boot construction, so tell me how it applies to a bike seat

Thanks,

Dave

Thats crazy that SPS makes nearly as much as you do for a seat that you have a weeks worth of work into. I guess that goes with the territorry though and as long as your getting a fair price it doesn't really affect you any.

As far as the welts go, I would think if your stitching it together instead of lacing and it was a larger type seat maybe they could be used. I seen on in the Stohlman sewing book that used one on a boat seat so I would assume it could be used for a bike seat as well, I don't think it would add anything except extra work though, Maybe it would strengthen the seam?