Rayban

How Can You Tell It's Time To Change The Needle...

Dear Abby...I woke up in the middle of the night and all I could think about was...when was the last time I changed the needle on my sewing machine.....do I have a problem??

True story.

Up til this morning, the only time I changed the needle was when I broke one, but that hasn't happened in a couple months at least.

I changed it anyhow...those voices were working me over......and I did notice a difference, especially on the horsehide belts I stitched up.

How can you all tell when it's time to change? Is there a tell-tale sign you see, or hear, or feel? Please share.

Change the needle? Crap, I'm still using the same needle Bob sent with my CB4500 in July. I think I've run about 300 holsters through it since then. Maybe I need to change mine too.

I had been hearing a sqeeky sound as the needle was penetrating the leather...probably the dull needle fighting it's way through....gutsy little thing.

new needle=no more sqeeking.

Just run your finger down the needle on all sides of the point...If you feel even the slightest hook or burr on it, change it. I always make sure I start with a new needle when I start a new project...odds are that you're going to need to change it anyways.

My thoughts are in keeping with what Elton says, I also check the bottom of the stitch. When the needle comes out the bottom, if it appears to be puncturing it's way out instead of cutting, this is a sign that it needs changing.

Bob

check your leather needle point for burrs, the lightest kind of burr or nick will fuss up and eventually break your thread....also as said....check your bottom for straight clean cut exit holes....needles are cheap, change often....its like oil in old motorcycles...it never hurts!!

Greetings

James