Chris B

Harness Books?

Hello, I had a couple of people ask me some question about making and repairing harnesses, I was wondering, is there any good books out there on the subject? And where can I purchase them?

Thanks,

Chris

Hello, I had a couple of people ask me some question about making and repairing harnesses, I was wondering, is there any good books out there on the subject? And where can I purchase them?

Thanks,

Chris

Proleptic.com will have the books that you are in need of.....

Try Saddlery by Paul N. Hasluck

This book has everything you will ever need to know about saddlery and harness making + some repair work explained , written about the trade in the UK so no western work is included.

A downside with this book is that it presumes that you already have a working knowledge about saddlery / harness making - so it is not a complete beginners book , rather a book for someone who already knows how to use their tools and knows how to handle leather .

The other downside ( sort of ) is that it is a re-print - the original having been written in 1905 ! -- some of the terms used need to be translated and the English is old style as written back then so you may have to read some of it twice before you fully understand what is being explained .

If you can look beyond the negative this is a really useful book that, as I have already stated, has everything explained - from how to make your own leather grease to brading a whip , turks head knotts explained , splicing etc . The saddle making is obviously out of date but the harness work is still good today .

It is not an expensive book and you should be able to get it in the US - try Amazon or Ebay for a copy

If you have anything specific you want to know - message me as I might be able to help you out.

Try Abe Books, or The Book Depository.

Edited by mikeloughlin

I would recommend Robert H Steinke's books, Bridlework: step by step guide; and Harness Making: step by step guide and he also does a book on Care and Repair of Harness. All available new or s/h on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikeloughlin