CrashInBlack

What Makes A Good Gun Belt?

I'd like to start making Gun belts to go with my holsters, but I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between a normal belt and a gun belt. Are gun belts thicker? Wider? Pre-curved for the waist? What would you like to see in a really good gun belt?

Edited by CrashInBlack

Different people do different things. I offer gun belts made of two layers of 6/7 oz Herman Oak A grade (I use backs). The layers are glued and stitched. I color the top layer before I glue the two pieces together. The bottom layer is left uncolored.

I also use my belt sander to "skive" the buckle ends of the two pieces.

This gives a belt just less than a quarter of an inch thick. I have found this is an ideal thickness and makes for a very usable "gun" belt. I have also made them for folks that just want a nice heavy duty belt.

I am thinking about making a less expensive line of gun belt. I was thinking about a single layer of 10/12 oz leather, not herman oak. The single layer will not last as long but will probably be better than most belts you find for carrying concealed. Even the belts that I have seen from the cop shops are not that heavy.

Hope this helps.

I just completed a gun belt that I am pretty satisfied with. I used two pieces of 1 1/2" wide leather, approx. 8 oz. each, that I purchased already cut from Tandy. I just glued them together and hand stitched them to make one, then dyed front and back and installed hardware. I am pleased with it, but don't know if I'll do it again any time soon. The hand stitching took a REALLY long time, but if you have a sewing machine it would not be as bad. It turned out to be just over 1/4" thick, which is a little bulky but supports a loaded gun in a pancake holster really well. Next time I may try Haystackers idea and just use one thicker peice of leather as opposed to stitching two together.

Edited by BanjoMan

All of the belts I sell on my website are double layer: I start out with the front piece, . . . hit it with calipers, . . . then go looking for the back liner.

8 oz is supposed to be .125 thick, . . . but often times will run much thicker, . . . and what I am looking for is a total of .118 to .124, . . . which my experience has shown me is just about perfect for carrying a handgun, ammo, etc.

As mentioned, . . . cemented & sewn, . . . although I do have one out there I did not stitch, . . . it is a "trial" that has been going on for over 4 years now, . . . no complaints.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ok, so gun belts are going to be thicker than a normal belt. What about width? Does a wider belt carry better than a thinner one? Or does the stiffness of the belt matter more?

CrashinBlack, im my opinion width and thickness are equally important in a good gun belt. I've seen them range from 1" to 2", with 1 1/2" wide being the most common. If you're going for more of a "dressy" look then a narrow belt would look better but...the more narrow the belt is the more likely it will be to roll out when carrying a loaded full size handgun. I think the 1 1/2" belt is the most versatile as far as width goes. It seems to be wide enough to support a holster and weapon, but it still has the look of a normal belt to the untrained eye. Regardless, your holster is only as good as your belt and I am yet to find a plain store bought belt that is strong enough to do the job!

Ok, so gun belts are going to be thicker than a normal belt. What about width? Does a wider belt carry better than a thinner one? Or does the stiffness of the belt matter more?

I generally make 1.5" belts, and try to make them look like a run of the mill belt. The less attention you draw to them, the easier conceal carry is.

My personal belt is 9-10 oz lined with 3-4 oz. Cemented and hand sewn, 1 1/2 inch wide.

It can carry a full size 1911 with ease (tested it last night on a buddy's holster) When I carry my Firestar M40 it feels like it's not even there.

Thats about it for my research and development, :thumbsup:

Edited by Fredo

Making double layer belts is a great reason to obtain a sewing machine!!!