My gf wanted a new wallet. She specified she didn't want the aging effect of veg tan, so I thought I'd use the oil tan burgundy that I have.

But she also said she wants clean burnished edges, so I finally I dug out this italian calf veg tan that I've been keeping. It has been plated at the factory with a coating of leather lacquer, so less fears of aging or staining. Yet, being veg tan, I can still burnish the edges. It also has a very luxurious feel to it.

Nothing new to the design of this wallet, but this is the first time I am doing something with this leather. Very nice to work with I'd say.

I also just got myself some thinner waxed thread which is a joy to saddle stitch with.

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

Very nice, neat and well done.

ferg

My gf wanted a new wallet. She specified she didn't want the aging effect of veg tan, so I thought I'd use the oil tan burgundy that I have.

But she also said she wants clean burnished edges, so I finally I dug out this italian calf veg tan that I've been keeping. It has been plated at the factory with a coating of leather lacquer, so less fears of aging or staining. Yet, being veg tan, I can still burnish the edges. It also has a very luxurious feel to it.

Nothing new to the design of this wallet, but this is the first time I am doing something with this leather. Very nice to work with I'd say.

I also just got myself some thinner waxed thread which is a joy to saddle stitch with.

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

Very nice and clean!

Man thats awesome looking work. I really like the uniformity. One of these days!

Heck of a job!!!!!!

From the sounds of it you hand stitched it all and it looks amazing, as in machine sewn or better. The whole thing just looks great!

Thank you all.

Gringobill - Yes sir, it's all hand stitched. Though not using the traditional awl method. I use a pricking iron to make my stitching holes.

I was also going to comment on the stitching. Looks better than most jobs i've seen with a machine! If you don't mind me asking, what brand/size pricking iron do you use? Thanks!!

great job .

Amazing job Reddevil, the concho you have complement the wallet very well. And good job on burnishing the sides, must have taken a long time to do so.

Hi Crimson, thanks for the compliment. The burnishing was ok.. handmade wallet takes time anyway.. so the burnishing process didn't seem as long..

wow! that is beautiful. i really like the inside with all of the compartments. looks like a top of the line store bought wallet. great job all around - especially with the stitching.

now, what size thread did you use? is it linen? i've never seen it sized in mm before.

wow! that is beautiful. i really like the inside with all of the compartments. looks like a top of the line store bought wallet. great job all around - especially with the stitching.

now, what size thread did you use? is it linen? i've never seen it sized in mm before.

Frankly, I am not sure what thread this is. Forgot to ask when I was buying. It may be polyester.

I got it from the warehouse where I was buying leather. Just asked if they do other products, and this old guy mentioned that they used to import waxed thread, but stopped as they aren't moving fast enough. But he did have some 0.8mm white left over, so I got a roll, and really liked how it stitched.

I have bought linen thread before, and didn't like the bit of fraying. This 0.8mm is very minutely braided and weaved, not twisted. So it doesn't fray.

Frankly, I am not sure what thread this is. Forgot to ask when I was buying. It may be polyester.

I got it from the warehouse where I was buying leather. Just asked if they do other products, and this old guy mentioned that they used to import waxed thread, but stopped as they aren't moving fast enough. But he did have some 0.8mm white left over, so I got a roll, and really liked how it stitched.

I have bought linen thread before, and didn't like the bit of fraying. This 0.8mm is very minutely braided and weaved, not twisted. So it doesn't fray.