Timd

I need some advice

Here's the issue- My Mother is, at 73, still a Girl Scout leader. She has asked me to help teach a leather craft class at their next unit encampment in 2 weeks. I've been talking to the guy who has been doing this, and this weekend event is the only leatherwork he does. He tells me there will be 2 one hour classes, with 45 8-15 year old girls in each class. I will be buying wristbands from TLF, and they will be stamping their names, and some flowers, etc..., which sounds easy enough, but 45 at a time? He also threw in that it usually turns into mayhem, but I guess I'm getting old and cranky, I'd like to actually like to teach them something. Anyone have experience with crowd control of this magnitude? How can you keep their attention? Guess what I'm trying to say is...HELP!!

Three Nuns and a dog couldn't control that crowd.....

So..just dive in and have fun.

My first thought is to get a classroom assistant. Or two. Or three? :grouphug5vj5:

Kate

No advice here either, but will be waiting patiently for the update as to hpw it all worked out for you. Good luck, and have fun.

Ken

The best thing would be to break them up into groups right away...e.g. 9 groups of 5. Pick a leader for each group..give them some responsibilities, and You leaders do introductory then have the team leaders kinda watchover things, while you float from group to group.

Standard crowd control...lol..good luck, it really does sound like fun.

Ah, the old "divide and conquer"! I'd put my money on your approach. You sound like you've "been there". :red_bandana:

Kate

The best thing would be to break them up into groups right away...e.g. 9 groups of 5. Pick a leader for each group..give them some responsibilities, and You leaders do introductory then have the team leaders kinda watchover things, while you float from group to group.

Standard crowd control...lol..good luck, it really does sound like fun.

Timd,

I've had some experience with 4H, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts (mostly). I guess I would have to ask who is actually teaching the class? Is it you or the guy that has done it for years?

If it is you:

1) Pray a lot, then organize them into groups of 4 or 5 with an assistant for each group. You have better control with smaller #s.

2) Inventory the tools you have to work with for each group.

3) Prepare a lesson plan with enough time to case, stamp and put a simple finish on them. Saddle oil would be quick & simple or a spray lacquer!

4) Quickly tell them what you are going to teach, teach it, set them to work, praise their creativity. Oh, let them know up front the time they have from start to finish (ONLY 1 Hour).

5) Watch the group. The some of the older Scouts may be more mature and some may have some leather experience. Use them as peer control and some additional assistance for their group. They need to exercise their Leadership Skills.

6) Keep it simple, Make it fun! (KISMIF)

7) Straighten up and repeat with group two. Some of the older Scouts may want to stay and help if they have time on their schedule (Force Multiplier). Pick and choose. You may have some talented candidates for a more advanced class in the future.

It will be chaiotic. Don't let it get to you! Set to rules of conduct and courtesy you expect then delegate, delegate, delegate. Just remember that PPPPP (Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance) so get prepared.

Good Luck and you have fun with it!

John aka Indy

If you really want to teach them, I would probably just do what the guy you are helping wants to do with the wristbands and just stamping their names. Then I would talk to your mother the scout leader about doing a "hands on demo" at the next group meeting she controls.Then have her talk to the other scout leaders about you coming and giving demos at each small group meeting.This way you get a smaller group that is easier to control.Not to mention giving the individual attention to each scout. Trying to teach that many at one time is going to frustrate

you to no end , unless of course kids have changed since I was a scout.

WINDY

RDB and Indypbear are right on track! Keep in mind that your only introducing them to leatherwork and not trying to teach the finer points. If you try to go to far in depth you'll only ensure you have no fun and stress out with the class being that large. Make it a fun introduction that peaks their curiosity to learn more later. Remember to be flexible and let them have fun and you will too : )

Edited by jammon

45 is a pretty big group to work with at one time. Organization will help. Make sure you have the tools sorted and laid out before they come in. I like the idea of splitting them into smaller groups. If the space is small and noisy, limit them to one mallet per table. Assign older girls with younger ones in each group.

Before you get started, do a dramatic intro. Get their attention. If they are using wooden mallets, you hit the demo piece with your 20lb. maul. If you don't have enough alphabet sets for each table/group, give the younger girls 3D stamps only. Letters aren't very easy for newbies to line up, and some girls might not like "mistakes". Also, you are really lucky that these are girls. Boys will convert hammers to weapons and implements of destruction, but girls have a longer attention span. Smart move having the snaps pre set, too. It will lessen the frustration. Girl Scouts all have leaders- make sure you enlist their help to make things go smoothly.

Last, but not least- tell all the girls if they like leatherwork to check out leatherworker.net on their computers, and give them directions to their nearest Tandy store. Better to be addicted to pounding cow than other teenage temptations. You are doing a good thing spreading the fun, helping your mother and introducing the girls to the joy of the craft. When it's all over with, put your feet up and enjoy a refreshing libation. You will have earned it.

Johanna

Wow! thanks for the great input. That's what I was kinda thinking, smaller groups and making rounds. I was a Boy Scout leader for 20+ years,so I'm ok with crowds of kids, but I guess the image of all those screaming little girls spooked me....lol. I'm hoping to spark some real interest in the craft, because as I've said here before, I feel like I'm in the black hole of leathercraft, no one close to me does this stuff. Believe me Johanna, I'll be sending anyone who asks to this site, but the nearest Tandy is 2 hours away. Oh, and I'll have some of Mr. Jack's Tennessee sippin' magic waiting for me when I get home...lol

Wow! thanks for the great input. That's what I was kinda thinking, smaller groups and making rounds. I was a Boy Scout leader for 20+ years,so I'm ok with crowds of kids, but I guess the image of all those screaming little girls spooked me....lol. I'm hoping to spark some real interest in the craft, because as I've said here before, I feel like I'm in the black hole of leathercraft, no one close to me does this stuff. Believe me Johanna, I'll be sending anyone who asks to this site, but the nearest Tandy is 2 hours away. Oh, and I'll have some of Mr. Jack's Tennessee sippin' magic waiting for me when I get home...lol

I have controlled a few large groups in my time but 45 is a real stretch, My advice is that from the instant they meet you take control, be nice, talk etc but you are in control, don't get trapped talking to one child about what they are going to do cause 10-1 that child will cause problems in the session ahead, tell them i will tell you all about once we get started.... before you even go near the teaching site lay down some rules and boundaries. Explain why the rules are needed and ask the girls if there are other rules they would impose on themselves.... you will be surprised. This is only how i would do it so please don't take offence, i don't want to tread on toes but this is my method and it works for me for ages 4-15 above that I have different methods.

Introduce yourself, stick to the fact (hi i am nic, I have been doing leatherwork for 2 years, we are here today to have a go and if we work qwell you'll all get some snazzy bracelets to take home). because your a big grouop I need to lay down some groundrules ok

Rules:

1. No one touches anyone elses work, unlessthey ask for help.

2. (Actually rule no.1) when you speak, ask the girls to listen. there is no point in shouting over 45, silence and a clap can work wonders, "we will do this in stages, so i can keep up with you all".

3. Don't let anyone touch anything until you have explained how to do it, if anyone done it before then say " great you can help the others, once we get going"

4. Then run through the thing in stages..... First we wet the leather, grab a sponge and wipe it over the surface, note how the colour changes etc etc (this gives you control of what they do and in what order)

Now, if any body finds it difficult to follow the rules I will stop the activity, and we can all sit on the grass here and wait, do you all understand. I always feel a bit militant at this point but it is soon forgotten and everyone knows the outcome of breaking the rules.

ask them who knows the rules? what happens if they break them. "Ok thats the nasty bit out of the way" lets go enjoy ourselves and make these bracelets

These are lettering stamps and explain how they work, the are back to front so when we stamp on the leather they are the rifgt way around. This is how we transfer to the leather (including safety) then they have the basics. (how do you think we need to hit this to give a good impression, act out what you don't want, you will look silly but they will all get the gist straight away)

once they've got the basics the last bit of decorating the leather, let them go for it, but repeat how to use the stamps safely, (Ask them how they do it!)

You've been a leader so all this is probably teaching granny to suck eggses. As i said, I control groups of between 10 and 60(absolute maximum, in dangerous areas walking, hiking, and doing crafts. i find once you lay down the rules, reasons and consequences, you actually enjoy yourself more cause everyone knows where they stand.

Thats my 2ps worth. In a nut shell I work to a system called the supported system which I divised myself, two years ago, it works liovely.

Pip

If you raise an arm with two fingers up, all the Girl Scouts know to be quiet, and they raise their arm with the signal, too and get quiet. I wish there were something similar in Boy Scouts- if there is, I don't know the signal.

Johanna

If you raise an arm with two fingers up, all the Girl Scouts know to be quiet, and they raise their arm with the signal, too and get quiet. I wish there were something similar in Boy Scouts- if there is, I don't know the signal.

Johanna

lol, I am presuming thats in the official salute not in the english longbowman style lol :NEWFUNNYPOST:

Johanna, Johanna, Johanna,

Ask ANY Cub Scout, Boy Scout or Venturer what the words mean "Sign's up"! Cheeze Louise. Whar u bin girl? An old BOY, Gen. Robert Baden-Powell, started this thing called Scouts in England 101 years ago and Lady Baden-Powell after that with her Girl Guides. Now you've had your (partial) history lesson for the day-right Timd? ALL great advise. Now go in there and have fun with those Scouts and win one for the gipper. You'll have more great stories to tell later for years to come as will they. "Remember that leather class with that old crumudgeon (she says lovingly)....we really had fun once we got into it. I've still got that bracelet in my memory box".

Memories, memories, memories-we've got a million of them. Thanks kids.

Indy

Eagle Class of '55

Ooooops!......I got carried away. Sorry

Well, I survived! Left the house at 9:00 this morning, just got home at 8:45. Went pretty well, had some kids really interested, some just liked pounding the bejeezus out of the leather, and some that didn't want to be bothered. I'll post pics in the morning, right now the living room floor and the heating pad are calling my name.......

Some pictures- the first is Frank and I, I'm on the left. The next are finished projects, all the girls were thrilled with them. The last is the only one I got permission to show, my niece, Makayla. All in all, it was a good experience. Frank talked me into an adult class in the fall, teaching the leaders, so next spring they can help a little more. Looks like I'm becoming a reluctant teacher...lol

G.S._Class_003__Medium___2_.jpg

G.S._Class_021__Medium_.jpg

G.S._Class_022__Medium_.jpg

G.S._Class_023__Medium_.jpg

G.S._Class_013__Medium_.jpg

post-4924-1212360923_thumb.jpg

post-4924-1212361054_thumb.jpg

post-4924-1212361077_thumb.jpg

post-4924-1212361096_thumb.jpg

post-4924-1212361187_thumb.jpg

Really glad to hear it went well and you survived ; )

Thanks, Jammon. I really had a blast, though some of those girls eally got into swing the hammer, my ears were still ringing when I got home...lol